back purge TIG aluminum pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• back purge TIG aluminum pipe

just wondering what everyone uses as a setup for their purge gas. i seem to be running through a lot of argon and not sure if thatís normal. we just have a hose from the regulator plugged into the pipe. iím running about 8-10 cfh.

Sounds like what we do. I either tack a cap to the open ends or seal them with aluminum tape, with small vent hole at one end. Run purge from 6 to 10 cfh. We do mostly stainless pipe and switched to nitrogen gas for purge. Way cheaper than argon. With all day welding we burn thru a purge bottle every 3 to 4 days, the bottle on the welder lasts about 5 days.

Comment

thanks for the info. i wasnít piercing the aluminum tape on the open end so iíll make sure i do that too.

Comment

You have to have outflow thru the vent hole (of course), this assures you have positive pressure. For ex. if you start the purge but don't feel and gas flowing from the vent hole then you know you have a leak somewhere.

While you can just flow gas thru an open hose, it's better if you can diffuse the gas with something like a pneumatic muffler, or even just a copper tube with small holes drilled in it, and pinch the end closed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	587987

Click image for larger version

Name:	BSL-standard-sintered-bronze-silencers.gif
Views:	1
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	587988
        Attached Files
        Richard