Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lanthaned electrodes and radioactivity

hi guys,
    my name is Robert and I am glad to be part of your forum.
    I have a tig welder and after I red about the radiocativity of thoriated tungesten I did buy the Lanthaned one.
    I wonder one thing:
    I read on the package "NOT READIOACTIVE" as a sort of advertising.
    But it seems that this is NOT true at this point because on other forums people have misured a radioactivity given from the small amouont of isotopes in Lanthane in the electrodes. I mean: if there is a small amount of isotopes that emit radioactions....then it IS radioactive. Or am I wrong ???

the point is that I really would like to weld TIG but I am also scared for my healt. I weld outdoor, but of course the fumes contain surly a small amount of the fused Lanthane, and when I grind a few particles surly will stick on me.

Are there some scientific facts that would let you say that I am overacting ?
    I am quite disappointed because I have spent over 1800 Dollars and now it comes out that also Lanthane is a "bit" radioctive. I have a family and dont want to bring that dust at home....

I thank you for your replies

Bye

Robert

I'm certainly not a chemist or physicist, but your post is the first time I have ever heard the words "radioactive" and "lanthanated" in the same sentence unless it was a recommendation to use lanthanated in place of thoriated to avoid radiation. A quick web search indicates that the element lanthanum has only a single naturally-occurring radioactive isotope, which makes up only .089% of the element on earth. There are no OSHA or NIOSH concerns or limits related to radiation and lanthanum that I found. I'd worry far more about the radiation from going for a walk on a sunny day or flying on an airplane or having a dental X-ray--which means I don't worry about it at all. That said, breathing any metal dust during grinding is probably not the best thing for your lungs, so if you're worried about it, do it outdoors and wear a respirator, just as you might any time you're doing something that raises dust. But it does not appear to be a radiation issue from what I've found. Perhaps a chemist will join the discussion.
    Last edited by Aeronca41; 12-02-2017, 05:18 AM.

Comment

If you're scared of a little if any radioactive dust off a tungsten you probably shouldn't be welding concidering the chemicals given off with the melting of metals let alone fly in a airplane go through any metal detector, the chemicals in the couch you sit on or the bed you sleep in are just as bad if not worse

Comment

I think you'll be fine. The proverbial "they" make a lot of claims on this and that and then they flip flop from time to time, depending on where the research money is coming from. Eggs used to be bad for you, then they were good for you, then "they" pissed off the eggs farmers who in turn discovered the value of a lobbyist...now we don't hear much about eggs one way or the other. I'll take mine over medium with hash browns scattered, covered smothered and diced, side of bacon side of sausage side of toast and plenty of 2% lanthanated tungsten.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
          I think you'll be fine. The proverbial "they" make a lot of claims on this and that and then they flip flop from time to time, depending on where the research money is coming from. Eggs used to be bad for you, then they were good for you, then "they" pissed off the eggs farmers who in turn discovered the value of a lobbyist...now we don't hear much about eggs one way or the other. I'll take mine over medium with hash browns scattered, covered smothered and diced, side of bacon side of sausage side of toast and plenty of 2% lanthanated tungsten.
          I like mine grown GMO and MSG on the side
          Richard

Comment

And all the gluten you can pile on!

Comment

Yummy ! And a side of Geiger counter

Comment

Originally posted by therealrobertino View Post
                ...on other forums people have misured a radioactivity given from the small amouont of isotopes in Lanthane in the electrodes. ...
                Such a claim seems only appropriate if you cite it. Proper spelling and terminology would be gravy, when seeking a technical discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Such a claim seems only appropriate if you cite it. Proper spelling and terminology would be gravy, when seeking a technical discussion.
                  Perhaps, English is not the OP's first language.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodhand View Post
                    Perhaps, English is not the OP's first language.
                    Hence only gravy. The cite for the claim, however...

Comment

Robert your over reacting!!!!!! Have fun welding, wear a respirator when you weld and grind if your concerned for your health. You have more to worry about breathing the air in a big city than from welding.

Comment

Robert - I take PPE seriously when I weld since a whole spectrum of radiated products are coming directly at the welder. Lately, I've been wearing a 3M respirator RELIGIOUSLY. Industry has done a great job of protecting eyes at 200-1400 nm, "ok" job of protecting lungs (e.g. my 3M gear), but a pretty lousy job of protecting the rest of our bodies from RF (and Radioactive) Absorption -- all kinds of cycles (and harmonics) are being dosed on the welder --depending on the freq/phase, organs (over time) don't like it -- an unavoidable fact.
                        Last edited by Crepe Myrtle Farmer; 12-06-2017, 09:53 AM.
                        ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
                        Spectrum 875
                        Diversion 180
                        Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
                        Miller 252
                        MM 211
                        CST 280
                        Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

Working...
                        X