new hood

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new hood

So I'm looking to get a new hood. I've got a Lincoln hood that is labeled the Viking 1840. It works decent but I think it's failing as it has started to flash me on short arc times like tacking pieces. It also flashes me if it doesn't have a perfect view of the arc.

I'm looking at the Miller infinity hoods. I like the feature set and the giant window. Should I buy one?
    MillerMatic 251
    Maxstar 150 STH
    Cutmaster 42
    Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Should you buy a new tool? Um....heck ya you should! But have you tried changing the batteries in your old one?

Comment

If you earn a paycheck from welding, then your hood is a very valuable "tool" don't skimp. I have a Digital Infinity, I upgraded from a 8 year old Miller Elite and it (the DI) is nice, however a little front heavy with the large window, that was 2 years ago. I recently bought the Optrel e684, the clarity of the optics is better and the hood is lighter, although the window is smaller I like it.
      Richard

Comment

Interesting about the weight. I hadn't considered that. I don't earn a living from welding. I'm an advanced hobbyist. I pick up some side work here and there but not much. I can afford just about any hood though. I wouldn't say price is much of a factor in this case. it's not like I'm buying a dynasty... Haha.

My old hood had permanent batteries. Afaik they are not replaceable.
        MillerMatic 251
        Maxstar 150 STH
        Cutmaster 42
        Victor Journeyman OA

A rockcrawler, er money pit, in progress...

Comment

Do yourself a favor long term and invest in a 3M Speedglas with the air filter -- I did (after owning Miller, Lincoln, etc helmets)................I've heard some health professionals throw around this saying:

"There are no old welders"

(Of course that's not true, but they're trying to make a point)
          Last edited by Crepe Myrtle Farmer; 11-26-2017, 10:17 AM.
          ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
          Spectrum 875
          Diversion 180
          Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
          Miller 252
          MM 211
          CST 280
          Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

I have the Titanium 9400I hood, got it when it was the newest and the best. Now if I were to pick a new one, and I am a bit of a hood fanatic, I would pick the Optrel Panoramaxx, it just seems too awesome to let it go.

https://www.weldingsuppliesfromioc.c...elmet-1010-000
            if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Working...
            X