Help choosing a new welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grizzly1944 View Post
    Here's what I would recommend, get your husband a prepaid big name bank card up to a certain amount that would allow him to purchase the unit that will meet his needs. The welders that have been listed so far are great units, but these decisions are the ones he needs to make.
    My thoughts exactly.

Filomena, just because we're men on a welding forum, doesn't mean that our suggestions will meet your husband's actual needs at his place of employment. It's not like a sweater that he can "get accustomed to". The machine needs of a professional pipe welder I imagine are rather specific to both the work to be done AND to the preference of the user. The last thing you want is for your husband to have to answer to his co-workers/bosses...

Boss: Bob, why did you settle for that machine?
    Bob: well my wife got it for me as a gift, so now I have to use it.

Better scenario:

Boss: Hey there Bob, that's one sweet machine you picked out for yourself there!
    Bob: Yeah, it is. My wife let me pick out a machine for myself, and I've always wanted this one because I've been eye-ing it for a long time now!

I think it's great that you want to make your husband happy and want to surprise him, but there's a time and a place for everything, including surprises. Usually, professional pipe welding machines are not on the list of things that fall into the category of "great gifts for the man in your life" kind-of-thing. The pre-paid card is what I vote for as well.
    Last edited by OscarJr; 11-23-2017, 07:24 PM.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Give him the pre-paid card. All he's going to think about is you bought him a welder.
      MM251
      Hypertherm45XP

Comment

Or....try asking him.

Comment

I really never heard of a place where a welder works for someone and has to use his own machine.
          I've never heard of a welder who had his own gig and his wife bought his equipment.
          Gonna have to be a bit more specific about the job situation before I even believe this is really the case.
          Fishy

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Fushion king, haha thats pretty funny . He is a licensed plumber, and in the process of getting his cert for welding, and i thought this would be a rather nice idea for a present this year. Yes its all fact.

i hear all of you and thank you for all your ideas. Much appreciated. Ill have to decide what to do. Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
              I really never heard of a place where a welder works for someone and has to use his own machine.
              I've never heard of a welder who had his own gig and his wife bought his equipment.
              Gonna have to be a bit more specific about the job situation before I even believe this is really the case.
              Fishy
              Sounds like he works for himself. A private contractor. In which case, he provides his own equipment and tools for the jobs he does.
              Lincoln Idealarc 250
              Miller Bobcat 250
              Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
              Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
              Torchmate CNC table

Comment

See post #13

"He is the owner..."
                Richard

Comment

Not all jobs will have power for plug in welders. Not all jobs will you be able to get an engine powered welder close enough . What kind of does he do most?

Comment

Do you have a budget
                    Originally posted by FILOMENA View Post
                    Fushion king, haha thats pretty funny . He is a licensed plumber, and in the process of getting his cert for welding, and i thought this would be a rather nice idea for a present this year. Yes its all fact.

i hear all of you and thank you for all your ideas. Much appreciated. Ill have to decide what to do. Happy Thanksgiving to all.
                    That being the case, I'll weigh in.
                    The last thing you wanna do is to buy a machine he cannot use.
                    The minimum for pipe welding in an engine drive would be a Trailblazer, not a Bobcat. Trailblazer has remote capability and also Dig for pipe welding. he will need both at times.
                    Bobcat is a basic welder with a great generator. Good for a farmer. I learned the hard way
                    After that he will have to decide for himself because this is an extremely technical decision. And expensive too. Do you have a budget set? $5,000+ would be a realistic number for starters and work from there.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I live in an industrial based community in central CA.
                      There are many many pipe welders here that work as private contractors (self employed) for oil companies like Chevron in the oil fields.
                      every where you go there are dulie 250 & 350 pick trucks with engine driven welding machine.
                      These welder trucks have a Miller Trailblazer located directly behind the cab.

Miller engine drive Bobcats are too low in power output.

It is a must to have a welding machine that is capable of burning 6010 rod to bridge an 1/8"+ gap between the two beveled pipe ends.
                      most of the pipe welding joins carbon steel A53B or A106B carbon steel pipe.

When researching water storage tanks for the farm, discovered NYC has some type of code requiring wood fire water storage tanks.
                      Pipe welding for water transfer maybe the application where the pipe must welded where a large pickup truck does not have proper access for the welding process.

A light weight hand carry portable shielded arc (stick) inverter welding machine can be powered from the Miller Trailblazer with a long 220 volt power cord.

One thing to consider when the livelihood stems from a welding machine is the length of time required to repair the machine.
                      its not if but when when used on a professional basis. Occasional hobby use is not a concern.
                      Parts are readily available and repair shops are abundant with name brand labels.
                      Last edited by Almond farmer; 11-28-2017, 10:30 PM.

Comment

Trailblazer it is then!

Comment

Working...
                        X