Help choosing a new welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help choosing a new welder

Hello my name is Filomena , first time posting anything, I was hoping I can get some ideas.

I purchased a
    Miller Maxstar 150 STL TIG/Stick Welder Package with Remote Fingertip Control
    For my husband a few years ago
    He is now in the process of getting his certification in New York City for pipe , I hope Im explaining this correct.
    He is a licensed Plumber
    I would like to buy him a new machine as a present, one that he could use on the job
    I have no idea where to start
    I was hoping someone can make a suggestion.
    thank you
    Filomena

The max star 210 will weld pipe. It will run 6010 and 7018 rods very well. It is also a multi voltage machine. It's an upgrade compared to a max star 150.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Thank you for your reply, much appreciated
      i was looking at a Renegade 300 , a 300 amp Stick/Tig welder. Do you know anything about this one? Is this good for pipe too? I just dont want to make a mistake on a big purchase, and i want to buy one he can get good use from. Thank you again.

Comment

I wasn't aware of the Renegade until I did a search. It's an ESAB, so that's a good brand, with a loyal following. I'll have to look more closely later, or others will have more input, but I see no red flags yet.

I will add the caution about buying such large, critical purchases as gifts. It is very common that the recipient knows exactly what he needs or wants, but doesn't get it.

Comment

Thats exactly what im afraid of. I want him to be happily surprised.

Comment

If you buy from your LWS they may allow him to exchange it for something else if you explain the circumstances.

Comment

Many years ago, when I was a kid, I got a Schwinn bike for my birthday. My dad didn't know which one I'd like best, so he had my brother draw up a fancy schmancy certificate that entitled the bearer to the bike of his choice. I was just as excited to get that certificate as I was when I actually picked out the bike.

Comment

Yes i understand what yoir saying
                but i would love to nailed it with this present, there is nothing like opening up a present that you love, im gonna have to see. Thank you

Comment

Well then get him a bobcat 250.

Comment

Thanks , ok i will look into that too

Comment

Do you know any of the guys he works with ?Have them ask him what he's looking for or a specific machine .

Comment

I think the bobcat 250 will suffice. You should totally get it.

Comment

He is the owner and i dont know anyone i can ask. Thats why im here asking you men, lol. I willl look into the bobcat 250. I take it this is powerful enough for all sorts of pipe welding and more? Thank you again to all , for all your replys and ideas.

Comment

I think it will work for what he needs.

Comment

Here's what I would recommend, get your husband a prepaid big name bank card up to a certain amount that would allow him to purchase the unit that will meet his needs. The welders that have been listed so far are great units, but these decisions are the ones he needs to make.

Comment

Working...
                              X