Miller Challenger 172 aluminum

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Challenger 172 aluminum

I'm not looking to weld aluminum much but I've saw videos on youtube about using a mig gun with aluminum wire to weld aluminum(with birdsnests and other problems!) Would my Miller 172 work like this or would I need a frequency kit? Thanks!!

I've never used that machine, but I would guess you're gonna fight birdsnests and other problems. I don't know what a frequency kit is that your mentioned, so I don't have any input on that. Never heard of it. But, if you're gonna try it anyway, which you probably will, you'll need 100% argon to do it and I would suggest the biggest wire your machine will run in a 5356...it'll be a little stiffer than 4043.

Comment

NO expert, but the 172 should weld just like you have it if you can get everything adjusted so that it does not birdnest, with the argon of course.
      Miller Challenger 172
      Hobart AC/DC Stickmate
      Older Sears AC Stick machine

Comment

I hope it works for you. I have not had success running small aluminum wire in a small wire feed welder. I can run aluminum wire in my MM250, but it's also 3/64 wire. I have heard people say that if you install a Teflon liner then you can run it, but I do not have first hand experience with it.

Comment

Working...
        X