Miller matic 35 sputtering

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller matic 35 sputtering

Guys in shop complaining about sputtering, but welds look great to me. 85 wire feed welding 1/2 plate on setting 4. 15 to 20 flow rate on 75/25 gas. Same settings for two years. But I have to admit it doesn't "hizzle" like i remember. Just replaced all the diodes with OEM because we had some hood arching and loss of power, but she's welds like new again to me. Still these guys have 40 years of wire welding between them, and if they're right about something being wrong, I want my baby fixed up right!

Any idea what I'm dealing with here? THANK YOU!!!

First rule of mig welding. When it sputters change the liner. If you have changed the liner make sure it is not too long or short. Ease up on the drive rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
      First rule of mig welding. When it sputters change the liner. If you have changed the liner make sure it is not too long or short. Ease up on the drive rolls.
      Probably the original liner from 1974, so im game. Also something else just occurred to me. It had a roll of 35 wire in it when I got it and the guys changed it, with tip, to 30 wire. They tell me that's ok. ?? What's the advantages/disadvantages here.

And it's not that I don't trust my "40 years of experience" guys, they're just a bit obtuse somtimes... Thank you again!

Comment

I use .030 wire for everything...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

In my experience, the liner is the last suspect, and I've never gotten that far before I fixed whatever the problem is. Not saying that's not your problem, but I've been around a while, and I've never heard of this 'first rule is to change the liner.'

Does it have the exact same issues with the gun lead coiled up as it does with it held nice and straight? Test this.

Yes, the typical liner with handle .035 and .030, and usually .023 also, with no issues.

Comment

Heck why not change the entire new gun/whip assembly if you really want to fix "your baby" up?!!
            They make way better stuff now and you can set the original back for a spare and for testing. Prices are not that bad if you shop around.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
            X