No announcement yet.

new way to contaminate aluminum tig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Came up with this goofy idea while making pancakes.

Take a hand held mixer and swap the beaters for brushes to clean the mess off the rods.
    The brushes turn in opposite directions so the rods just need to be fed into them.
    The cleaning action can be adjusted depending on the diameter and material of the brushes.
    Once they are cleaned enough the brushes might even have enough speed to eject them into a suitable box
    saving extra handling.
    Good luck
    Click image for larger version

Name:	mixer.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	586594Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush3.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	586598Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush1.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	586599
    Attached Files
    Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Well, this has been highly enlightening!

Comment

You see the joy and ingenuity that such a mundane and trivial post can bring?! I think the mixer idea is genius.

Comment

Something the wife will enjoy also.

Comment

I think this is one for the record books .

Comment

I bet you can use it for all sorts of stuff! Brushing the cat, cleaning beer mugs, etc....

Comment

Ryan,

As my good friends have often told me, "sometimes you come up with decent ideas - but don't quit your day job"

Hope you can salvage some of your rods.

40.000 would keep me busy for a lifetime........................... or 100 cases of beer.

good luck

Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

This is funny stuff.....except for the termites
                  I would probably put them in one of your tubes and since you will need multiples then I would pour a different solution in each one. Cap them off and let them sit, checking every few weeks or when ever. (years?)
                  If you could somehow slowly spin them and get a tumbler effect might best. let them polish each other. Or maybe have a kid clean them.
                  Spread them out in the open outdoors and forget them for a long time. What ever works makes them like free rods IMO.
                  I have rods I bought 20 years ago and seldom use (magnesium and some stainless) and have to wipe with Scotchbrite to use.
                  But I would never throw them away. It's simply against my nature

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzly1944 View Post
                    Something the wife will enjoy also.
                    We still talking about his dirty, skinny rod?

Comment

Yes, he just doesn't think giving it a good strong rub is the is the right answer. But that last suggestion from Fusion has a lot of merit. Tumble them in tubes sounds like genius. They can rub themselves clean.

Comment

That is an excellent idea. I have in fact made a tumbler mechanism doofloppy that attached to a drill motor and mounted in a vise. That was a specific application several years ago and much smaller, but I think I can adapt it...if I can find the darn thing.

Comment

I want to see a pic of this doofloppy if you find it !

Comment

I keep all my rods in plastic schedule 40 pipe tubes with caps on them.

Comment

I do too, except for the brand new ones that I haven't opened yet.

Comment

Working...
                              X