No announcement yet.

new way to contaminate aluminum tig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah-sitting in the shop for a day wiping rods is not something I'd look forward to. Maybe the weak acetic acid in vinegar might work if the deposits are alkaline. Baking soda might if they're acid. Need an entomologist to weigh in here on the pH of termite poop!

Comment

Ya, if someone that's an expert in removing termite poop from welding rods said soak them in x, y and z....I'd be all over it. Have too many things going on to stop the show and salvage some tig rod. Now if it was something like hastalloy W....

Comment

Did you try Phosphoric Acid?

Comment

What about bead blasting them ?Then wipe with acetone ?Light bead blasting may do the trick.

Comment

I don't know what that aluminum cleaner is, but I'm willing to give something a shot to clean those rods up.

DA.....I hope you're just messing with me about bead blasting these rods....

Comment

Yup lol ...

Comment

Oh thank goodness!

I was gonna ship them to you and let you blast away!

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  Oh thank goodness!

I was gonna ship them to you and let you blast away!
                  Considering the trouble you're having, I would consider "'Easy Off Oven Cleaner (yellow label)" or "Simple Green, Aviation Grade."
                  HTH

Griff

Comment

I don't know about you Ryan but when I weld aluminum I generally wipe every rod with acetone before welding. Usually 5 to 10 rods at a time. so quit crying and wipe your rod clean before you use it. Solution to prevent this from happening again get plastic tubes for your rod will keep them clean and termite poop free.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
                      ... quit crying and wipe your rod clean before you use it. ...
                      Wasn't just me, then. Good!

Comment

That's almost nasty, OGD....if I had thin skin, it might hurt my feelings too...meanies.

I wipe each rod down with acetone quick before I weld. This stuff is like hardened snot and a quick wipe down just ain't gonna cut it. But you're right, I'll stop cryin about it and toss em in the scrap bin.

Comment

BrakeKleen? Just make sure its all evaporated before you light off. Id give the dollar tree "Orange Cleaner" spray a try.. that stuff eats EVERYTHING.

Comment

I"d probably try lacquer thinner or possibly fire.
                            ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Not being mean, just sarcastic. From prior post I'm guessing your skin is so thick you don't even own gloves. I do find this to be a good topic in that alternative methods for cleaning not just welding rod that has been schat upon but any material that has tough goo on it. Harbor freight also has some cheap cleaners that work really well. Oh and if your going to scrap that rod send it my way. A week or so after I get I'll start cry about what a pain it is to clean. Then I'll send it to Fusion King.

Comment

I take no offense here boys....if I wasn't getting screwed with, then I'd think nobody likes me. It's just like being at work.

I generally do keep my rods in PVC tubes I made, but this stuff was so new I hadn't needed to open it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X