new way to contaminate aluminum tig

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new way to contaminate aluminum tig

I found a new way to contaminate aluminum tig welding and you guys are gonna be so jealous of me....

Short story long, got termites in the shop. Had that taken care of and went to investigate the damage. The wall studs are open in my shop and I store my tig wire in that area. I start pulling tubes away from the wall and the 6 brand new boxes of Hobart maxaltig, which comes in cardboard. Well those little destructive *******s had eaten up into the boxes, saving the walls, so that's good. But now my brand new tig rod is coated in termite barf that, incredibly, does not just wipe right off. Irritating miniature beasts they are.

Going to soak these rods in soapy water and see if it dissolves the termite excrement.

Only you Ryan, only you.
    if there's a welder, there's a way

Comment

Now THAT'S a story! Hope their poop doesn't contain some kind of acid that caused a change in the chemical structure of the rod. Anxiously waiting to hear the results of the soapy water.

Check your PM.

Comment

Did you try acetone?

Comment

I would say that the rod would now be completely unusable junk.
          If you pm me I will give you instructions on my address so I can help you out by properly disposing of all of it. Just to make sure you are within haz-mat guide lines and all concerns of that nature.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
          Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
          MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
          Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
          Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
          Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300
          Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
          Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

You guys.....

Comment

Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Texas termites ...?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  I found a new way to contaminate aluminum tig welding and you guys are gonna be so jealous of me....

Short story long, got termites in the shop. Had that taken care of and went to investigate the damage. The wall studs are open in my shop and I store my tig wire in that area. I start pulling tubes away from the wall and the 6 brand new boxes of Hobart maxaltig, which comes in cardboard. Well those little destructive *******s had eaten up into the boxes, saving the walls, so that's good. But now my brand new tig rod is coated in termite barf that, incredibly, does not just wipe right off. Irritating miniature beasts they are.

Going to soak these rods in soapy water and see if it dissolves the termite excrement.
                  That's a new one for sure!

Griff

Comment

I am fairly sure acetone will clean these rods, but there are 40,000 rods to wipe clean. I may mix up some of that aluminum cleaner stuff I use before welding on old dirty metal, whatever that stuff is called, it'll probably do a bang up job.

Comment

DA...I had formosa termites. That's the kind that can build a hive up in your attack and really eat your house to bits. Once they build their hive, they don't need to go to ground for water anymore, making them much harder to kill.

Comment

Yup there bad news it's the places you don't see them that you find in the end .
                        Crazy how they went after that filler box !we have wood bore beetles up here too that were wiping out a lot of oaks actually the larva was doing all the damage, we even have laws about transporting firewood over state lines cause there so bad.
                        And were losing hemlocks from aphids darn bugs!

Comment

Nope. Soapy water just softened the termite poop, the aluminum cleaner did diddly squat, each and every single rod will have to be wiped down and even then some of it doesn't come off without a scratch of the finger nail. A stiff bristle brush is of very little help. I'm gonna let them soak for a few more days, but I'm still not going to spend the time to wipe each dadgum rod. No freakin way. This is a good job for a shop assistant....

Like DA said...**** bugs....

Comment

Was hoping for better news. I will be sure to keep my AL wire away from bugs! Expensive job those little guys did on you!

How about my wife's old standbys-vinegar or baking soda paste (not at the same time)?

Comment

Hmmm, worth a try. If I had the time, I'd wipe each rod. As it is, they're looking destined for the scrap bin unless someone wants them.

Comment

Working...
                              X