Mathematics for Welders

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mathematics for Welders

I have trouble understanding Mathematics for welders and I know I'm suppose to learn fractions, percentages and decimals. I don't have very good math skills, so is there any tricks to learning these stuff faster or perhaps how to do them?

Nope. But first, get it out of your head that you ain't no good at math. You're just as good as the rest of us, and believe me, it's not as hard as you think it's going to be and you'll be glad you knuckled down and learned it.

There are certain things you'll just memorize. Percentage is ALWAYS per hundred.
    Decimals are even easier than fractions.

You'll be fine.

Comment

Do you have anyone you can go to for help? Sometimes having someone explain it is a lot better than reading a book. Hard to know how to help you in this format.

One thing that will help you day to day is if you memorize decimal equivalents of every 1/8 of an inch.

Comment

Math for welders isn't difficult math. Yes you need to learn fractions and be able to convert basic fractions to decimals. That's not difficult math. You need to be able to accurately read a tape measure down to an eighth of an inch. You should be able to calculate the circumferance of a circle from a diamater or radius measurement. This isn't real complicated math, it's basic math.
        Lincoln Idealarc 250
        Miller Bobcat 250
        Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
        Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Originally posted by HyperNateSway View Post
          I have trouble understanding Mathematics for welders and I know I'm suppose to learn fractions, percentages and decimals. I don't have very good math skills, so is there any tricks to learning these stuff faster or perhaps how to do them?
          No substitute for repetition. Don't think you can't! I worked with an electrician that said, of himself, that he was "too stupid" to learn trigonometry.
          He did "run, rise, and travel" in his head!!

HTH
          Griff

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post

No substitute for repetition. Don't think you can't! I worked with an electrician that said, of himself, that he was "too stupid" to learn trigonometry.
            He did "run, rise, and travel" in his head!!

HTH
            Griff
            rise/run/travel is not trig, it's 7th/8th grade math. Taught right before Algebra-I, in which it is used extensively. Even sin/cosine/tangent is just Geometry. I taught it at the 10th grade level before Trig/Pre-Calc. Real trig is far more involved when having to see/create forms in order to do an identity substitution and the like.
            HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
            Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
            Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Clear as mud.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

rise/run/travel is not trig, it's 7th/8th grade math. Taught right before Algebra-I, in which it is used extensively. Even sin/cosine/tangent is just Geometry. I taught it at the 10th grade level before Trig/Pre-Calc. Real trig is far more involved when having to see/create forms in order to do an identity substitution and the like.
                Run, rise and travel is geometry utilizing algebra to solve and the terms are related to trig terms.
                It's not 7th grade math. Besides, you completely missed the point.

Griff
                Last edited by griff01; 11-13-2017, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Just study. If I can learn decimals than anyone can...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by HyperNateSway View Post
                    Nope there are no tricks.
                    If you don't know those very basic things, then you need to back up and learn them over again.
                    Surely you know 1/2 (a fraction) is 50% which is also .5
                    1/4th is 25% which is .25
                    And so on. If you are in welding school or a welding class you should go through a bunch of this stuff.
                    If you want to weld for a living then you have to know these basic things to keep a job..... You can do it !!!
                    Much more math to be a fabricator or a machinist.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Get a small decimal /fraction equivalent chart tape to back of your cell phone or put it in your note pad at the shop .I still use one once in a while for the oddball drill bits and what not .Handy to have and most machine /fab shops have one hanging around .
                      Before you know it it will be second nature, it will already be in your head .D

Comment

Working...
                      X