Millematic Dual tank 252 mig machine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millematic Dual tank 252 mig machine

I just purchased a new Millermatic 252 dual tank machine. While assembling the machine, I see there are two gauges and two hoses, but it appears the only way to switch tanks is to unscrew one hose and move it to the other tank. There is only one inlet at the machine and no kind of switch to switch tanks. Is that normal or am I missing something. Thanks for your help.

Use a "y" with check valves on each cylinder line.

Comment

No endorsement, but I found these: https://www.amazon.com/Inert-Valve-A.../dp/B008BJG4KC

Maybe some other brands out there, too. You can do your own research from here.

Comment

You may also want to check with USAweld.com (HTP). And if you don't find what you need on the web site, give them a call. Great people and very helpful-they often come up with things not on the site. And, should you need one, they have the best deal on flowmeters I've found.

Comment

I switch hoses on mine. Then I got tired of moving the welder and 2 cylinders so one went against the wall...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I own a 252 single tank (may be the best machine I've ever owned), but I'm surprised Miller didn't provide a better "dual port" option -- from what the OP described that setup isn't up to Miller's standards.
            ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
            Spectrum 875
            Diversion 180
            Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
            Miller 252
            MM 211
            CST 280
            Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

Originally posted by golfer View Post
              I just purchased a new Millermatic 252 dual tank machine. While assembling the machine, I see there are two gauges and two hoses, but it appears the only way to switch tanks is to unscrew one hose and move it to the other tank. There is only one inlet at the machine and no kind of switch to switch tanks. Is that normal or am I missing something. Thanks for your help.
              I believe Miller advertises this as a "dual cylinder rack" instead of a dual cylinder machine.

Griff

Comment

I have several of those valves in my medusa of welding gas hoses. I also use the check valves to make sure I don't get contaminated gas. Each of those parts on that "y" can also be bought separately...the valves can be separated from the "y" body. You can also use barbed hose fittings and clamps...WAY cheaper.

Comment

I put quick releases on my machines and shielding gas hoses.
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

The advertisement shows two tanks on the welding caddy, which the verbiage explains the tanks are not included. It then explains there are two regulators and two hoses. Its difficult for me to believe they would leave out the method to connect the two tanks and two hoses to the machine. That is really poor IMO. I will hook up a Y as suggested and think I will send Miller a friendly letter.
                    Thanks for your replies and help. I'm sure I will be back.

Comment

Originally posted by golfer View Post
                      I will send Miller a friendly letter.
                      Thanks for your replies and help. I'm sure I will be back.
                      Let us know what you find out..Bob
                      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I would not think the folks at Miller set out to intentionally mislead people.

I like the quick connect fitting idea. Any problems with them leaking? I think just about every air hose I have the quick connect ends up leaking sooner or later. But they're the cheaper end "m" type Milton fittings.

Comment

No leaking from the ones I use. Purchased through Arczone
                          Ed Conley
                          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                          MM252
                          MM211
                          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                          TA185
                          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                          O/A set
                          SO 2020 Bender
                          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

The dual running gear is so you can use a separate Argon tank for your spool gun - only gripe I've had is that, IMO Miller should have added a second lead rack for the spool gun, instead of expecting you to sort out power, ground, mig torch and spool gun every time you wanna weld something - so I added a second lead rack on the other side, just for the spool gun. Hopefully my pix will actually show up, but don't hold your breath...

The spool gun gas supply is entirely EXTERNAL to the machine, so no need for another solenoid - the spool gun trigger (15A, 30A) will supply gas ANY time you squeeze the trigger, power on or OFF.

I use my spool gun for solid steel wire quite a bit (longer reach) and for that, I bought one of the CGA580 tees and hook both flow regulators up to the same bottle... Steve

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	SpoolGunRack-11.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	2.6 KB
ID:	586322
                              Hopefully my pix will actually show up, but don't hold your breath...
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	SpoolGunRack-13.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	1.9 KB
ID:	586323

Comment

Working...
                              X