X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang you're old.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
      aametalmaster, yes with just the shaft going into the bearing on the "front cover", there is lots of play. Want me to send it to you? Just don't send any power into it, I don't want you to fry the motor! lol I know it uses a BK1010 cup bearing, so maybe I'll just try to find tighter fitting bearings.
      If you can't find a tighter bearing I can just make a new one and make it tight...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Oscar, thanks for the extra effort on this. So just to clarify for my foggy brain, the shaft is not bent, the problem is just sloppy bearings? Is the gear, as far as you can tell concentric on the shaft? I'm trying to imagine why a loose bearing would cause the wobble and not just seat itself away from the the driving gear until it wore enough to disengage. Was the bearing dry so that the shaft was climbing and the sliding back to create the wobble or has the bearing failed resulting in lumpy rotation?
        ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Oscar, I wished you lived down the street from me. I'd be all over that gearbox. As an ex factory mechanic, I drool over stuff like this. Bob, if you're reading this, if he sends you the gearbox, you better get loads of pictures of the repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
            Oscar, thanks for the extra effort on this. So just to clarify for my foggy brain, the shaft is not bent, the problem is just sloppy bearings? Is the gear, as far as you can tell concentric on the shaft? I'm trying to imagine why a loose bearing would cause the wobble and not just seat itself away from the the driving gear until it wore enough to disengage. Was the bearing dry so that the shaft was climbing and the sliding back to create the wobble or has the bearing failed resulting in lumpy rotation?
            ---Meltedmetal
            To my eyes, the shaft is not bent. I think it's the [play in the] bearings, but then again, I also wondered why the slack wouldn't simply be taken up once tension is applied. Neither bearing is dry as the whole drive assembly interior was packed with red grease. Both bearings seem fine to me. The large gear pressed on the shaft seems to be concentric, but then again it might not be. There is a steel spacer with a slight shoulder that goes through the gear, and then the shaft is pressed into that.
            HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
            Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
            Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post

If you can't find a tighter bearing I can just make a new one and make it tight...Bob
              send me your address and I'll send it to you.

Comment

The only other thing I can think of is a combination of slop in the bearings and the spring washer(wavy washer) on the inside of the case changing the tension against the outboard spring as it rotates all against the torque from the drive gear is causing the shaft to wobble. Obviously Miller (and for that matter Lincoln as some of theirs do this) don't seem to consider it to be a problem. Thanks.
                ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post

Miller needs to put you on their pay roll Bob .

Comment

Originally posted by DATEC View Post

Miller needs to put you on their pay roll Bob .
                    I'd say so. I wouldn't even know where to start to make a new needle bearing! I only have a 3-in-1 Smithy Midas 1220LTD. I can barely machine round stock!

Comment

• Oscar,
                      Do you have a digital or dial caliper or micrometer to measure out of roundness of the shaft?

Some of the wobble with the drive roll installed is more than likely due to the loose slip fit between the drive roll bore and the shaft.

Comment

• If the hole in the drive roll was off center, it would act a whole lot like what we see.
                        If the hole was slightly off on both rolls the effect would double as they were rotated.
                        .002 would look like .004 and then as the idler came around with it's error as well it would be multiplied.
                        Not saying they are, but wouldn't that suck. Have you tried changing drive rolls? If so, never mind. it's early

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

• Danny & Fusionking,

Sure your ideas are plausible, but this is happening on both the old and the brand new drive motor assembly, both with the original drive roll and with a newer flux-core only drive roll (see videos). What are the chances that two drive rolls have off-center bores? I'm not gonna be buying 1000 Miller drive rolls to find out it's nothing to do with the drive rolls, lol.

My solution is rather simple. I'm gonna buy either an HTP ProPulse 200 or an HTP ProPulse 300.
                          Last edited by OscarJr; 01-02-2018, 05:51 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
                            Danny & Fusionking,
                            My solution is rather simple. I'm gonna buy either an HTP ProPulse 200 or an HTP ProPulse 300.
                            Way to go Oscar, we gotta keep the economy moving forward! Didn't realize they had a PP 300, the ProPulse sounds like it'd be a sweet unit.

Man this thread has legs...
                            Richard

Comment

• How old is your unit? 2yrs? I just can't believe Miller would let something like this just go by the way side and not make it right.

Comment

• To be fair to Miller, has this actually been brought to their attention? I haven't perused this in a while, but I was thinking that we've been talking about it, but that he hasn't actually officially complained to Miller about it, yet. Did I miss it? They don't follow these threads like they used to.

Comment

Working...
                                X