No announcement yet.

cleaning up my Millermatic 211 and drive motor assembly question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I'm wondering, if you can't get it replaced and if the shaft is bent, can it be removed and straightened or maybe there is something sloppy in the gearbox, allowing the shaft to wobble. I'm really interested in what your final outcome will be.
    Last edited by Metjunkie; 12-26-2017, 03:33 PM. Reason: Misspelled word.

Comment

Take the wire drive wheel off and any adapters from the actual shaft. I'd be very surprised if the wobble is actually the shaft itself.
      ---Meltedmetal

Comment

Originally posted by Meltedmetal View Post
        Take the wire drive wheel off and any adapters from the actual shaft. I'd be very surprised if the wobble is actually the shaft itself.
        ---Meltedmetal
        I have already done what you suggest, just not with a video. The wobble is simply more easily seen with the drive wheel installed because it is a larger diameter than the shaft itself. You could technically take my video and enlarge it enough to the point where you can discern the wobble on the shaft if you so desire. Long story short, it is the shaft that is wobbling. Is it bent? Who knows, it could be the cup bearing it is pressed into.
        Last edited by OscarJr; 12-25-2017, 08:53 AM.
        HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
        Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
        Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post

Long story short, it is the shaft that is wobbling. Is it bent? Who knows, it could be the cup bearing it is pressed into.
          I would tear it apart and see what is causing the wobble. If it is the shaft it can be put in a shop press and made true again. If its the bearing that's another issue. But it shouldn't be like that at all, sad for sure...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

When the motor is out, is there any lateral play in the shaft? If there is, the bearing or one of the bearing might be pressed in caddywumpus. Another thing to consider, if there is play in the shaft, that how it's mounted could be a factor.

Seems like there was a thread a while back on correcting the mounting of this motor, maybe not on this forum though since I can't recall it exactly and surely one of you guys would've pointed it out by now if it was.

Have tried a Google search to see if there are other threads with a possible solution?

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              When the motor is out, is there any lateral play in the shaft? If there is, the bearing or one of the bearing might be pressed in caddywumpus. Another thing to consider, if there is play in the shaft, that how it's mounted could be a factor.

Seems like there was a thread a while back on correcting the mounting of this motor, maybe not on this forum though since I can't recall it exactly and surely one of you guys would've pointed it out by now if it was.

Have tried a Google search to see if there are other threads with a possible solution?
              If I remember correctly, there is some play in the shaft. The original one is stored, so I'll yank it out and open it up. I guess I can sacrifice it for the sake of information. Maybe it will appease the Miller welding gods and I'll get a another new on in the mail.

Comment

Oscar, can you get some pictures, too? I'm tempted to buy a drive motor, just to rip it open myself and check it out. Okay, not really. I just wanna see what it looks like inside. Does it say where it was manufactured? China, maybe?

Comment

A Miller Rep needs to see this thread and "MAN-UP" and send you a new one.... No If's, Ands or Buts, they also need to run it before doing so to make sure there is no issue with it. These are not some cheep toy units they are selling and as such need to be stood behind 100% no questions asked.

I would have been on the phone already with my issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
                    Oscar, can you get some pictures, too? I'm tempted to buy a drive motor, just to rip it open myself and check it out. Okay, not really. I just wanna see what it looks like inside. Does it say where it was manufactured? China, maybe?
                    Yea, I'll take some pics tomorrow when I open it up.

Comment

Originally posted by DATEC View Post
                      A Miller Rep needs to see this thread and "MAN-UP" and send you a new one.... .
                      They need to send you a big box with a year's supply of liners for your trouble, too.

Comment

Here are pictures after I removed most of the rasberry jelly. The shaft is pressed onto the large gear right behind the assembly cover, not into the cup bearing as I had previously thought.

Comment

So it just weeble wobbles in the back bearing and no support on the front except where it rides on the gear back while turned by the smaller pinon gear. Amazing. Like a $1200 erector set...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

I should post another picture of the front, because it does look like the front part that goes through that half of the assembly rides on a small bearing, that has a lot of play.

Comment

Originally posted by OscarJr View Post
                              I should post another picture of the front, because it does look like the front part that goes through that half of the assembly rides on a small bearing, that has a lot of play.
                              That makes sense. That could be the problem or part of it if its sloppy...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Oscar, the suspense is killing me. Can you remove the shaft from the outer case easily? I wonder if it rides in a bearing or a bushing. And yes, more pictures.

Comment

Working...
                                X