No announcement yet.

cleaning up my Millermatic 211 and drive motor assembly question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had to change liners because they were full of crud and I've also cleaned liners with spray cleaner like carb cleaner and got a lot of junk out. Looks like copper colored paste sometimes.
    You run enough wire and are in a dirty industrial environment, changing liners is pretty common actually. plus the occasional kinking that happens from being careless etc. When you work with 30-40 other welders you see many things become commonplace that never happens at a small shop.
    My liners and equipment last forever because I know what happens when I mistreat my equipment. Been there and done that on other peoples machines
    And that was all "back in the day'. Maybe liners are better nowadays.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

To be clear, I've not said liners should not be changed. I'm specifically challenging statements like 'they should be changed REGULARLY' and 'FIRST THING to do is change the liner' especially since these statements were followed by, shall we say, "salesmanship."

Comment

I too bought a new liner 8 or 9 years ago and never needed it. I sold the gun to a member here and put it in for him. Also sent the old liner because there was nothing wrong with it. It was made in 1999 and I got a lot of welding out of it. And I run the cheapest wire I could find...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I'm sure a lot of liners get needlessly replaced.
          I just loosen up the rollers and full the wire by hand to see how it feels. If it feels free, then I'm good. Liners are really easy to check out. Way easier than to replace.
          It sure isn't required maintenance like changing your oil. **** I've used some tips for what seemed like eternity.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
          Miller WC-115-A
          Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

I'm a CST. That means Miller Certified Service Technician. I repair machines for a living so I see 100 or so wire feeders a year, maybe more. So when I say customers, I mean people bringing machines in for repair. When I say not changing a liner causes bigger problems it's from 20 years in the business. There is no protection on any boards when the drive motor pulls too many amps. First thing I check is how tight the drive rolls are. If the board is bad, that a sure sign of what caused it or contributed to the failure. I come here to see if I can help people troubleshoot their machines. Sometimes it's nice to help out.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
              I'm a CST. That means Miller Certified Service Technician. I repair machines for a living so I see 100 or so wire feeders a year, maybe more. So when I say customers, I mean people bringing machines in for repair. When I say not changing a liner causes bigger problems it's from 20 years in the business. There is no protection on any boards when the drive motor pulls too many amps. First thing I check is how tight the drive rolls are. If the board is bad, that a sure sign of what caused it or contributed to the failure. I come here to see if I can help people troubleshoot their machines. Sometimes it's nice to help out.
              So you're saying, if we don't believe it, just kink our liners so they won't feed, then crank down enough on the rollers to get it going, and then, and then.... weld away????
              I appreciate your input very much and look forward to anything you have to contribute. We need all the tech on here we can get.
              Now if Miller would only get someone here to make it where we can post pics without having to go through 20 steps.

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                To be clear, I've not said liners should not be changed. I'm specifically challenging statements like 'they should be changed REGULARLY' and 'FIRST THING to do is change the liner' especially since these statements were followed by, shall we say, "salesmanship."
                Not salesmanship. I never know when the liner was changed last. If it is kinked and we can't see it or when I'll ever see the machine again. Plus why send a machine back with a questionable liner and 3 weeks later it doesn't feed correctly. Such a cheap fix no reason not to replace it.

Comment

So then what is your professional opinion about the brand new drive motor assembly that I purchased from Miller that has a wobbling shaft? Remember, not a single mm of wire was fed through the new one, so no drive roll tension has even existed on it, just the installation of both of the drive rolls that I have on hand?
                  HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                  Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
                  Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Sounds like it made it through quality control when it shouldn't have. Miller has a 90 day warranty on all parts. I would send it back.

Comment

Thanks. Should I email Miller first, and then let them give me direct instructions on how to proceed?
                      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                      Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
                      Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

I'm a CST. That means Miller Certified Service Technician. I repair machines for a living ...
                        In what Miller documentation will I find that a tension setting of 3 means to change the liner?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

In what Miller documentation will I find that a tension setting of 3 means to change the liner?
                          That's in the secret books we don't get to read

Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                          Miller WC-115-A
                          Miller Spectrum 300

Comment

Dang it. I always get left out.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              Dang it. I always get left out.
                              Oh, go and change your liner!
                              Richard

Comment

I might change the whole gun. Been using a tweco gun for the last few years and it's been going on the frits here lately. I never really liked it anyway. Might drop the cabbage on something better this time around.

Comment

Working...
                                X