cleaning up my Millermatic 211 and drive motor assembly question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cleaning up my Millermatic 211 and drive motor assembly question

So I finally took my Millermatic 211's cover off so I could clean it after two years. Definitely needed a dusting.

I was surprised to see the size of the small fan that is responsible for the cooling of the unit

so this is the sucker that is wobbling on me. Ended up finding a replacement for $60.
    Last edited by OscarJr; 11-07-2017, 03:55 PM.
    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Change your liner more often and quit cranking down so hard on the drive rolls.

Comment

Does not apply.

Comment

Oscar, what you found inside is ONE of the reasons (the other is obvious to me) I ordered a 15' gun with my just-bought mm211 - lets me keep the machine a little further from the action, so to speak. The brand new 10' gun is still coiled up in the box the 15' M150 came in.

At least the newer 211's went to fan on demand, my transformer 211 was barely quiet enough WITH earplugs. Plus, I've NEVER understood the practice of having the fan draw air INTO the front of the machine - has no one figured out that's where most of the CRUD is??!?

Only POSSIBLE scenario I've come up with is somebody thought the cooling air blowing out the front of the machine would affect shield gas - but in my experience even a 10' gun puts the machine far enough away (and blowing down) NOT to make any difference... Steve

Comment

Brand new drive motor assembly installed. Two different drive wheels. I guess that's just how they are. Oh well, I mean it still works, just have to tighten down to about 3.5ish. As you can clearly see, has nothing to do with liners nor cranking down so hard on the drive rolls.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
            Change your liner more often ...
            I've never changed a liner in my life and don't see how it could cause the symptoms in this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

I've never changed a liner in my life and don't see how it could cause the symptoms in this thread.
              Really? It's like changing the oil in your car. Both get dirty.

Comment

Holy mackerel....that's new? I can't see how that is acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                  Holy mackerel....that's new? I can't see how that is acceptable.
                  Yes Sir, brand new, just got it yesterday (ordered from Miller4less and it drop shipped from Miller themselves in Wisconsin) and installed it yesterday. In just a few I'm going to test out the one we have here at my work. I don't recall it having the wobble, I remember it rotating a bit truer than mine.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post

Really? It's like changing the oil in your car. Both get dirty.
                    Please expand this simile so it makes sense to me. Honest. I've NEVER changed a liner in 30 years of MIG welding. I've never seen a supply house stock liners in the lobby with other consumables, nor had one offer them as add-on sales like with other consumables.

The only threads I can remember where a liner solved a problem was because it was kinked, not because it was "dirty." I'd love to be educated on this subject. I've somehow missed it.

Comment

Here is the unit we have at my work. With the naked eye, I think I can see a teensy weensy bit of wobble if I had to guess, maybe 0.010-0.012" of run-out off the surface of the drive roll. Not like mine which has a visible, oh 0.020-0.024". (just guesstimates).

All in all, I'm not too disappointed because the unit does work when the necessary amount of tension is applied to the rollers. I just know in the back of my mind that it could be done with much less tension if everything was true.

Comment

Take the drive roll off and see if the shaft is wobbling or if the drive roller just mounts crooked. I'm hoping it's just how the roller mounts to the drive wheel. I have a micrometer on a magnetic base, could set that in there against the drive shaft and see how true it is.

Comment

Yup, already thought and done that. The shaft itself is not rotating true. It's just easier to see the wobble with the larger diameter drive roll. Checking the run-out won't do much as the system as a whole is non-adjustable. The net effect is shown through the wobble of the drive roll itself. I have an idea to compensate for the wobble, but I have to get my lathe/mill out of storage, ugh. Plus I still need to get better at machining.
                          Last edited by OscarJr; 11-15-2017, 04:19 PM.

Comment

That is an irritating problem you have there Oscar.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              That is an irritating problem you have there Oscar.
                              Well not really. Strictly hobbyist here, and the machine still works. Not a huge deal. I'll just buy another MIG. Easy solution.

Comment

Working...
                              X