Syncrowave 300 question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Syncrowave 300 question

Anybody know the part # for the main power switch? Also what foot control does it use? Thanks

You can find part numbers in the manual. Use the Manuals And Parts link at the bottom of this page. Try the serial number search field first; sometimes it doesn't find older machines. If not, use the other box and put in the name of the machine and then select from the serial number ranges you get back.

Comment

Have you taken it apart and looked at the switch? A lot of times the part number is on the switch.

I replaced the main power switch in an old Lincoln machine I have. I ordered it from the LWS and it was pretty much a high prices switch I could've got from lowes. Worth taking a look.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
        Have you taken it apart and looked at the switch? A lot of times the part number is on the switch.

I replaced the main power switch in an old Lincoln machine I have. I ordered it from the LWS and it was pretty much a high prices switch I could've got from lowes. Worth taking a look.
        Right on. You could even take it out(mark your wires) and take it to an electrical supply house-they may be able to match it up.

Comment

Mine looked like a regular two pole, 30amp 240v switch, like a beefy light switch.

Comment

Another question, without depressing the pedal the voltage intermittently goes up to 30 volts in a erratic way. The torch will strike a arc but the gas isn't activated. It then returns to normal and repeats about every 15 seconds. Scratching my head!

Comment

Unhook the foot pedal and see if it still goes wonky.

Comment

Fixed it! I pulled the 2 PC boards and cleaned them with electrical cleaner and reset them. I think it was just not making contact with the pins. Also I blew off the Hall effects board, but when I took a good look there are 4 wires the size of a hair that were touching each other ( from the blowing). I know it's old but I got it for $100.00 and found a almost new Bernard cooler for $50.00 and I had a torch. As for the pedal I'm using one off a syncrowave 250. It's a rfcs-23 with a 5 pin connector that I think someone modified. The manual says it takes a rfcs-5 so I am going to try to find one. Happy camper here!

Comment

Wow! Happy camper is probably an understatement! Gotta be one of the all time great finds and success stories.

Comment

Well it started doing the power spiking again. It started after about 10 min. About every 30 secs. the voltage goes up to 30v for about 5 secs. then returns to 0. It does it with or without the remote connected. I've switched every switch turned the dials etc. but still keeps doing it. I don't think it's the Hall effects because it only senses amperage. Maybe something in the electronics when it gets warm.

Comment

After looking at the manual, I think the problem could be one of the thyristors acting up. Any ideas?

Comment

Could be but I would think the regularity of the failure sounds more like some sort of very low freq oscillation in the gate control circuits. I'm clearly not a welder expert, just an old systems engineer, so that's certainly not a guaranteed answer. However, you could go broke throwing parts at this. Really need a scope to look at the gate pulses and compare timing to the output fluctuations.

Comment

If I get time today I'm going to check if maybe there is crud on the thermistors causing a leak between the gate and the anode.

Comment

Possibility. Would sure be nice if it was that simple.

Comment

I'm down to two wires going from the PC1 to the relay. When I wiggle them it stops doing the problem. Appears the pins on the plug are making intermittent contact. Tomorrows project.

Comment

Working...
                              X