Need help shaping arc characteristics with my Miller Big 40 Diesel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help shaping arc characteristics with my Miller Big 40 Diesel

I have a 2004 Big 40 CC/CV model with the CAT Diesel engine. My understanding is that on this machine, you have an amperage range control and a fine average adjust control... So adjusting the fine current control will not effect voltage right? Put another way: the controls on my machine are NOT the same as an old Lincoln SA or similar machines? Basically I'm looking for a way to change the characteristics of my arc on this machine and I know on the old Lincolns you do it via the voltage/amperage ratio, and on the newer inverter type machines you do it via a "dig" control. But I don't see a dig control on my machine. The manual says that when in stick welding mode it has a special circuit engaged called "arc drive" that helps the arc from snuffing out in low voltage situations. To me this sounds like "dig" or "arc control" but I still have no way of a adjusting it for different arcs.

Attached Files

Comment

Thanks. Would you mind sharing with me where you got this info? I'm interested in reading more...

Comment

The pipe pro has the dig setting incorporated in the selector switch. The Big 40 is old school same as the Lincoln. But can obtain same results. This picture is in the 2012 Big 40 manual I’m not sure if it’s in the 2008?
        Try setting as you would Lincoln and should put u in ball park.

Comment

Ok. Thanks a lot!

Comment

I have the exact year and model and when facing the panel there is a sticker on the left side that basically says to get more of a hot start crank up the fine voltage to 50 or more and cold start below 50. Ive not been able to get my arc exactly where i like it but itsa **** good machine. I have just gotten used to messing with the fine voltage and it gets me close. The Cat engine is nice though mine when it gets cold outside i get carbon build up unless i leave it in the start position for a good while to let it warm up. Again though this is a really great machine that has never failed me.

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X