Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from Stokes County, NC

Hello All

We recently sold our farm in Central New York and have moved to our home in Pinnacle, NC. In the downsizing from 11K square feet of shop and storage space to a 2,000 square foot basement and no shop building most of our bigger shop tools, gantry crane etc didn't make the move. Of the metal working stuff only a low hours 2012 Bobcat 225 and a Dialarc 250P (w/power factor correction) came along for the ride. We still have two Dialarc 250s in CNY that may make the trip down to NC be cleaned up and sold later this winter.

I was a finish and trim carpenter and custom stair builder and I'm not a professional welder by any means. I've made some largish custom electric smokers but plan on making some custom trailer mounted wood burning smokers so I'll be looking for a rig for flux-cored wire welding (most likely dual shield) and will be back to pick your brains at some point. In the meantime I just ran a 100 amp sub-panel to the attached garage which is my only welding/metalworking space until I can clear some trees and get a proper shop built (in a year or two most likely).

Well, enough rambling for now. Thanks for having me here.

Lance

Welcome, Lance! Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead! Keep us posted.
    Last edited by Aeronca41; 10-30-2017, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Welcome...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Welcome to the group!

Comment

Thanks.

We were out of town for a few days and then emptied the garage into our cargo trailer so we could epoxy paint the floor. It's had a few days to cure so I nailed in the baseboard today and tomorrow we'll start putting stuff back. Then it gets a block of drawer base cabinets along one wall with thick 30" deep white laminate counter top and open shelves above that and I think I'll call it done for the winter...unless I add a hanging heater....and maybe install the SS restaurant pot sink in the corner that is waiting in the basement since my wife polished it up.... and then...

Lance
          Last edited by LanceR; 11-09-2017, 04:49 PM.

Comment

...and then seven welding machines, a Southbend heavy 10 and a Bridgeport?!

Sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
              ...and then seven welding machines, a Southbend heavy 10 and a Bridgeport?!

Sweet.
              Well, I sold a thread cutting lathe and taper attachment, horizontal mill and few other metal working tools. We had a fire a while back and lost 20" monster drill press that could be used for a light duty vertical mill and a small MIG welder that didn't get replaced. My biggest issue now is space and it will be an issue until/unless I can get a new shop up. So far the thing I miss the most has been having a big gantry crane to move and set things. Any new shop will have to have enough height and space to get another one. Without the large shop floor and crane all my machines are either on carts or heavy plastic pallets so I can roll them around as needed.

I still have a 5hp Delta Unisaw in the basement to put the extension tables back on, a planer and jointer get spotted and three phase power to run to them from my rotary phase converter. And today I'm piping the place for propane to a new range, dryer, gas logs and stubbing line to future basement heaters and a future demand gas water heater. The finish hooking up the new washer drain pan to the drain and run two electric circuits to the kitchen island. So right now my projects have projects......

We had two of these on the farm so I was spoiled....

Click image for larger version  Name:	SAM_0245.JPG Views:	2 Size:	8.8 KB ID:	586386

Lance
              Attached Files
              Last edited by LanceR; 11-14-2017, 08:15 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Yeah-I guess that could spoil a guy!

Comment

What's with the white dirt? I like mine nice and brown.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
                    What's with the white dirt? I like mine nice and brown.
                    Sorry for the delay in responding. That's not white dirt, that's lumpy rain..... It's 54x108' and 14' to the lowest part of the trusses. The front door is 14x24' and the side one is 27' wide.

The other building was only 20 feet shorter than that one.

Lance

Comment

Working...
                    X