Seismic wire

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seismic wire

Somebody help me please. Im running Hobart xlr-8. 1/16th wire and getting so much porosity and chicken scratches its driving me insane. I certified on 1 inch plate 4g with Lincoln 233 seismic wire with no problems at all. The lincoln wire was 5/64th and i was pushing 330 amps thru it on my cert plate. I run daily 7/64th hardfacing wire with no problems either at 420 amps at 28 volts. Is it because im used to bigger wire or what? I set it to hobarts specs and then again i bumped it up lowered it down to no avail. I dont want to be that guy that cant run that wire and i also dont want to be that guy that is grinding all his welds out because they failed inspection. Ive been welding a minute and have alot of certs but this making me look like a straight rookie. Please help

I've had very good luck with Hobart wires; however, I don't do cert work like that, but run a lot of wire anyway.

Since it's not gas shielded, do you think moisture is a factor? I know self shielded wire gets a little squirrely if stored for some time unprotected in high humidity environments. Also, did you preheat to remove any chance of moisture in the work piece?
    ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
    Spectrum 875
    Diversion 180
    Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
    Miller 252
    MM 211
    CST 280
    Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

The wire was fresh outof the box and no i didn't preheat. I figured quarter inch iron would be ok with no heat. I will give it a try luckily i have other welding to do i am an ironworker so if i screw it up i will never hear the end of it. I just found it weird i ran the big wire with ease from day one. I appreciate the advice will give it a try later today and let u know how it goesÂ*

Comment

Sorry so long to update but the preheat did the trick. Thanks for the help. Never would have dreamed it on 1/4" material. Learn something new everyday .Thanks again. Im now a happy ironworker again lol

Comment

Working...
        X