Millermatic 185 motor not turning

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 185 motor not turning

Hi everyone. I'm sure everyone loves the new guy who comes in asking for help, but I'm lost and not sure where to turn. I'm trying to avoid bringing this machine into the shop.

This machine, while at least 17 years old due to when they quit making them, had had very little use. It stays in the shop, and has always worked good. The problem I'm having is that the motor will not spin. I've removed the motor, and it works fine hooked to 12 volts. There are no noticeable burnt wires, resistors, etc, etc. When I hook my multimeter to the wires going to the motor, I get 5.75 volts when turned up to high speed, and 5.85 volts when at the lowest speed. Weird, I know. I'm just basically lost at this point. I'm fairly handy with AC voltage and the like, but electronics and circuit boards are like reading hieroglyphics. The only thing I know is the large white resistor gets HOT within about 5 seconds of the trigger being depressed. If that has anything to do with the wire feed, who knows.

Thanks in advance for any help you all can provide.

I'll take a guess at this point if anyone has one....

Comment

From similar threads I have read over the years, if the motor works fine off an external power source, but not when normally connected to the machine, a control board may be bad. And since there isn't much change in voltage with your meter connected to the board, it would appear a board is kaput. Bob, aka, aametalmaster, also has a 185 and may offer some insight. You may have to take it to a repair center. I, too, have a 185 since new in 1999 and wouldn't part with it. One of the best machines I've ever used. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Comment

Cj,

The 185's are pretty easy to work on. It sounds like you have already ruled out the drive motor so that leaves a couple things inside the unit itself. The CR-1 relay points could be in rough shape. You should be able to see them through the plastic case of the relay and see just how bad they look. Next I would suggest un-plugging the long white plug going to the circuit board and use a flashlight to look inside the little holes at the sockets themselves and at the pins on the board. Look for discoloration, soot or arc marks. I would also suggest checking the power supply that feeds the control board, you should have approximately 42 volts AC going to the board at RC1-1 and RC1-3. If everything looks good then I would suspect the control board.

Kevin
        Kevin Schuh
        Service Technician
        Miller Electric Mfg. Co.

Comment

Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
          Bob, aka, aametalmaster, also has a 185 and may offer some insight. You may have to take it to a repair center. I, too, have a 185 since new in 1999 and wouldn't part with it. One of the best machines I've ever used. Good luck and let us know what you find.
          I have never messed with my motor but I did replace that CR-1 cube Kevin mentioned. And yes the 185 is the best machine, ever. I will be lost if something happens to mine. I wouldn't know where to start buying another welder and I was a Miller salesman...Bob
          Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
          http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Isn't this a duplicate thread? I think I answered his problem last week.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
              Isn't this a duplicate thread? I think I answered his problem last week.
              Nope that was the MM180 thread. This is the MM185 thread...Bob
              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Thanks for the replies everyone. I will be heading out to the shop in a few and will check out the things mentioned here. I will certainly let everyone know what I've checked and what the final verdict is when I finally get it working. Nothing more frustrating for me when I'm researching problems for something online and finding a thread like this with no resolution. Lol. Thanks again.

Comment

Kevin, first....and I hate to ask something this stupid....control board/circuit board...one in the same?

Ive isolated the RC1-1 and RC1-3 wires into the long white plug. I'm assuming checking them grounded to the machine? I've got 0 when nothing is depressed. I get 3 volts on each one when trigger is activated. 0 when connected to both if supposed to be checked that way. Just not sure which way to check it.

No discoloration on any of the plugs or on the board itself. The points in CR-1 look brand new. There is noticeable arcing on the bottom point when trigger is pushed and released, and nothing on the top. Top is making good connection though. I've check output with voltmeter.

Comment

Those readings were with plug disconnected. With it connected, zero on those two still, and 3.5 trigger pressed. From CR1, 29 volts resting, ~22 with trigger pressed. All others ~ -21 volts resting. Variety of readings with trigger pressed. Have no idea if any of that makes any difference or sense. Just trying to put any info out there that could be of relevance to someone who isn't an idiot like me. Lol.

Comment

And I've forgotten to add, and I have no idea if this matters at all, but spoolgun works just fine.

Comment

Hmmmmm. For some reason it looks like this was anchored?

Comment

Anyone know why this post appears anchored and recent post doesn't show up?

Comment

Will it bump?

Comment

Yep, it bumped. Have you figured out the motor issue yet?

Comment

Working...
                              X