SS 16 Gauge 2 x 2 - Gas & CFH?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS 16 Gauge 2 x 2 - Gas & CFH?

First of all, hello all. First post here. I'm a completely inexperienced welder but I have a project I'd like to do that is similar to the only one I've done before - 20ish years ago - which is to build a brewing stand for 3 x 20 gallon vessels. I'd like to do it in stainless. That project from a long time ago was done with flux core on 1 x 1 mild, and it was truly ugly.

Here, I'd like to try and do better. Because it's a stand, it doesn't have to be food grade which is fortunate because I know it's ridiculous to attempt TIG with no experience. I know any welding requires expertise, but I'm hoping to learn with this, and save some needed funds.

This would be a 110V welder. I can't give the model because I won't be buying it - hoping to rent, or even trade for beer (what I did the other time). I plan on 309lsi, .030 wire, but that's just my best guess based on reading so open to anything.

The real issue is the gas. Using tri-mix helium, I'm looking at $350ish here in town. To be honest, I've forgotten the other tri-mix commonly used (mostly argon?), and I know it's cheaper. Still wondering - is there any way to estimate how much gas you'll need for a given project, and then rent a smaller bottle? After obtaining and cutting the stainless, with $350 in gas alone on top of it, it makes better sense to job it out to a professional who knows what he's doing.

Finally, I don't know if it's possible given this information, but I was just wondering if there's a CFH you set, for a given gauge and material.

Many thanks and nice to be here.
    Last edited by brewargon; 10-23-2017, 12:02 PM.

You could always use gas flux core with C02 or 75/27 gas and won't have to buy a bottle of tri mix. That's what all the local companies around me use...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Bob, thanks very much. Sorry for a dumb question - but do you mean, for this work, the stainless tubing, gas shielded flux core? Is there a specific flux wire you use?

-Paul

Comment

I used to sell this brand. Good wire...Bob http://www.inweldcorporation.com/dat...low_HndOut.pdf
        Bob Wright

Comment

I'm a brewer too. What is the reason you want the stand for the brew kettles to be made out of stainless? I made one for a buddy of mine that is a hard core brewer. Used square steel tubing and a dusting of spray paint. I only use one kettle and sparge with ladle. What sort of brew kettles are you planning to use?

Comment

Thanks Bob. Never even knew such a thing as stainless flux-core existed. Very helpful, thanks again. I'm guessing that second gas you mentioned is an argon-co2 blend, right? Another dumb question, likely, but is there a flow rate that's appropriate for each of these gases, given the wire you have (amazing, again, I used some kind of flux core for the mild, but it was not clean. Neither was my welding), and the thickness of the ss?

Hey Ryan, I thought about this one a lot, back and forth, and it wasn't an easy decision given how much more expensive the stainless was to buy and fabricate. The reason I came down to it is because of having to deal with the paint coming off and having to maintain it over time, v. the relatively permanent status of the stainless. I've got all Spike 20 gallon vessels, one tier, and drive everything with 2 Chugger pumps. Something like this is what I have in mind:

Attached Files
            Last edited by brewargon; 10-23-2017, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Every shop I worked in over the last 10 years uses gas flux core SS wire. And 99% is because of the Tri Mix.
              Now 25 years ago it wasn't that way. Solid wire and Tri Mix was the answer...Bob
              Bob Wright

Comment

Gotcha. That's great to know, Bob. Thanks again.

Comment

And a respirator. Hexavalent chromium is not good for you.

Comment

OK. Thanks on that, too, Ryan. Is there a benefit to the 100% CO2 v. 75/25?

Comment

Originally posted by brewargon View Post
                      OK. Thanks on that, too, Ryan. Is there a benefit to the 100% CO2 v. 75/25?
                      $$$$$$$...Bob
                      Bob Wright

Comment

Lol, so I'm guessing, Bob, the CO2 that can double as a gas tank for forced beer carbonation is a wee bit cheaper, then? I was just wondering if there's a difference in terms of ease of welding, or, what do you guys call it, dome, mounding, something like that, or corrosion resistance. Basically, performance? I'd just guessed the argon based gas would give a superior weld on stainless. If not, it seems a no brainer....?

Comment

C02 will be fine. And it is the same for welding and pressure in the beer tanks...Bob
                          Bob Wright

Comment

Might just have a black sooty look to the welds when you're done, but it just wire brushes off. I still say you're pole vaulting over a mouse turd, but I've been accused of over engineering things a time or three too.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              Might just have a black sooty look to the welds when you're done, but it just wire brushes off. I still say you're pole vaulting over a mouse turd, but I've been accused of over engineering things a time or three too.
                              It should look clean after the slag is removed. I ran it everyday for quite a while...Bob
                              Bob Wright

Comment

Working...
                              X