Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notch 1/2" Tube

Hey y'all,

I'm having a way harder time notching 1/2" mild steel tube for brazing T-joints than I should be. The smallest hole saw bit I can find is 5/8, and a half inch hss drill bit tears up the end of my tube. I've been more or less filing the notch manually and finishing with Dremel.

I'm looking for a pretty tight fit for simple T-joints with minimal clean up. What have y'all done?

Thanks!

Tony

Do you have access to a milling machine? Use a 1/2" end mill
    Richard

Comment

Drill it an inch back from the end then cut it thru the hole in the middle...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

If no milling machine just get a mill drill vice and a drill press

Comment

Try a ROTO-broach. Are you using a tube notching clamp/jig?

Comment

Originally posted by ajherhold View Post
            Hey y'all,

I'm having a way harder time notching 1/2" mild steel tube for brazing T-joints than I should be. The smallest hole saw bit I can find is 5/8, and a half inch hss drill bit tears up the end of my tube. I've been more or less filing the notch manually and finishing with Dremel.

I'm looking for a pretty tight fit for simple T-joints with minimal clean up. What have y'all done?

Thanks!

Tony
            !/2" hole saws are available. Keep looking. MSC can probably save you.

Griff

Comment

Yes, 1/2" hole saws are available. Pretty sure I have one from Home Depot, so they can't be all that special.

Also, are you welding the joint? Fitment may not need to be as tight as you think.

Comment

Thanks everyone! I'll keep looking for a 1/2" hole saw. I'm currently dremeling the joint, and the fit is certainly good enough for my purpose. I'm basically looking for consistency and to save a little time!

Comment

Just for the heck of it, picked up one of these rotary file bits from ACE, and it works absolutely perfect. Working with 14ish gauge 1/2" mild steel tubing.

https://vermontamerican.com/products/rotary-files/

Comment

Working...
                  X