Generator specs for new MM211?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator specs for new MM211?

Just ordered a new MM211 the other day, should be here tomorrow - I read thru the entire downloaded manual, and NO MENTION as to whether Miller recommends running it off a generator.

Does anybody know (from OFFICIAL sources, preferably) whether the newer inverter tech makes this less of a problem, or??

I'm specifically looking for info on allowable THD, Frequency - wattage isn't a problem, the genny I have is rated 7kw continuous.

I don't plan on doing this MUCH, but down the road I have a fencing project that I want to put in steel tubing "H" braces (welded in place, I've done it the OTHER way and won't again), which is probably the ONLY time I'd set it up for flux-core (at 600+ yards, the extension cord would cost more than the welder :=)

I don't have an engine drive and don't see a need for one other than the one project (which isn't even CLOSE to the top of the list yet)

Sooo, anybody got the straight poop on this? If so, thanks... Steve

Just call Miller tech support and get the answer straight from the source. They are very helpful.

Comment

They have never listed generator specs for their welding machines.

What model brand generator do you have?
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

I mentioned the MM211 in both the title AND the post - just got off the phone with Kevin @ tech support (after only 10 minutes on hold :=) -

He says the MM211 isn't very sensitive to power source and should be fine with ANY decent genny that can sustain 7kw when running on 230 volts. Done and done, yay :=))) ...Steve

Comment

Kevin @ tech support says it "isn't very sensitive to power source" ?

(Kevin over at tech support needs more training --- all circuit-board based systems are sensitive as to power source, period, exclamation point)
          ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
          Spectrum 875
          Diversion 180
          Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
          Miller 252
          MM 211
          CST 280
          Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

While that's true (I TAUGHT electronic repair in the '60's, repaired/taught/designed/installed til I retired 5 years ago) I also know it's possible to "harden" circuits against nearly ANYTHING (including EMP's, you just go back to TUBES :=) -

What I DIDN'T (and still don't, actually) know is whether the latest crop of INVERTER based machines are taking advantage of the ability to take whatever "power" that comes in, rectify/filter/regulate it to SMOOTH DC, then "make whatever you need" out of it for things like pulse, twin pulse, etc -

What I DO KNOW is that, given the time/budget/inclination, I could come up with a welder that'd run on nearly anything you could feed it, ass-u-me-ing there was ENOUGH of it.

Ain't gonna happen though, I'm 72 and DONE with that part of life - More into PLAYING with it these days; plus, realistically NOBODY would wanna PAY for it :=))

In my case, that fencing project I mentioned may not happen til AFTER they "pat me in the face with a shovel", but "enquiring minds wanna know" -

I haven't decided yet whether I'll try the genny BEFORE I actually NEED to or not, but the MM211's on the truck for delivery today, and the MAIN reason I bought it is that the area where I want to use it is currently limited to 30 amp 240 volt MAXIMUM "power company power" until such time as I'm willing/able to shell out TWICE as much as the welder cost in order to get a 200 amp service to it.

I built a coverable carry-all for my tractors (and an 85 foot extension cord) so I could move my MM252 around, but 30 amps input on the older tech would only get me up to about 14 ga. steel - the inverter NEVER draws 30 amps at FULL output... Steve

Comment

Originally posted by BukitCase View Post
              I mentioned the MM211 in both the title AND the post - just got off the phone with Kevin @ tech support (after only 10 minutes on hold :=) -

He says the MM211 isn't very sensitive to power source and should be fine with ANY decent genny that can sustain 7kw when running on 230 volts. Done and done, yay :=))) ...Steve
              Yes you did mention the MM211 but I asked which model generator
              Ed Conley
              MM252
              MM211
              TA185
              Miller 125c Plasma 120v
              O/A set
              SO 2020 Bender
              You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Sorry Ed, I missed that part - the genny is one I bought about 6 years ago from Costco during a power outage - it's a "North Shore", rated at 7000 watts continuous, Honda GX390 motor - when I went looking for specs on THD they weren't listed in the booklet that came with it- I then looked further online, discovered it had been discontinued - phone number didn't work, various searches revealed it'd been pawned off on Honeywell - found a Honeywell that looked like it, found THAT one had been pawned off (service) on ANOTHER company, and NOBODY was any use for further info.

I've load tested it with a 5500 watt 240 volt heater with no problems, but we all know a basic heater with a "universal" fan motor and a heating element is just a teensy bit less sophisticated than any welder newer than a buzz box.

Next time I play with things I'll repeat that heater test with a scope across the terminals - if I can SEE any non-sinusoidal stuff in the waveform, I will completely SCRAP the idea of using THAT genny to run the MM211 - and if my fence project ever actually HAPPENS, a newer genny that's SPEC'D at low THD will be a relatively cheap part (priced close to a MILE of 48" field fencing + 250 6-1/2' T posts lately??!?) Existing posts are barely long enough for the 3' crappy fencing that's there now...

FedEx showed up while I was writing this, gotta go fondle the new baby... Steve
                Last edited by BukitCase; 10-21-2017, 02:05 PM.

Comment

I have a feeling the genset will work just fine. As Miller tech mentioned regarding the 7000watts power and that GX390 engine will not be working too hard feeding the 215.

Ed Conley
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Same here Ed, but too many irons in the fire ATM; the MM211 got here on schedule, so far all I've got done is put the (extra cost) 15' M150 gun on, load a 12.5# spool of L56 .035, and verify tension and feed pressure. It'll get used soon to weld up my 8'x20' bridge crane for the first half of a 40' container tho, running off an 85' #6 SOOW cord from the wood shop's power.

When the weather gets crappy enough I might get around to a more thorough load test on the gen set, looking at freq and waveform under load... Steve

Comment

I've used my inverter 211 off a Troy-Bilt 7kW generator and it has worked just fine, although I have not had the need to run it at maximum welding output off the generator. I wouldn't hesitate to either. If it blows, I'll just buy another MIG.
                      HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                      Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
                      Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Oscar, that's good to know - I like how you think; plus if that were to happen, I could always use my mm252 as a "backup" til a replacement mm211 got here - the 85' #6 cord + the 30A gun would still give me a bit of range from the 200 amp service, just not for the OTHER 9-1/2 acres :=)) ...Steve

Comment

For your fence project, you could rent an engine drive and stick weld it.

Comment

Used my MM211 quite a bit this week on a dump truck front end -- the 10' cord is a limitation, but the thing arcs perfectly and pulls wire with zero problems. Autoset is a plus too.
                            ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
                            Spectrum 875
                            Diversion 180
                            Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
                            Miller 252
                            MM 211
                            CST 280
                            Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Crepe Myrtle Farmer View Post
                              Used my MM211 quite a bit this week on a dump truck front end -- the 10' cord is a limitation, but the thing arcs perfectly and pulls wire with zero problems. Autoset is a plus too.
                              Mine works great, but has the dreaded drive roll (shaft) wobble and I need to tighten it down drastically so the wire feeds with no problems. That's about the only thing I don't like about it.
                              HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                              Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
                              Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

Working...
                              X