Socket welds on natural gas- propane tanks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socket welds on natural gas- propane tanks

I recently had a job offer for welding fittings on Empty propane tanks to be hurried underground in residential areas. My plan is to use a dual shielded flux core wire and do them outside the shop. I was wondering if anyone is familiar with this type of work and if the dual shielded flux wire would work well. If anyone has any pointers on setup or process would be great.

How clean is the steel when it reaches you for your part? Any coatings on it or the fitting, before or after the welding?

I'm assuming "empty" means it NEVER had propane inside, and is a newly manufactured tank?

Comment

It would be a newly manufactured tank, I would use the steel fittings and stay away from cast iron or steel. Not sure about any coatings but should be easy enough to clean down to good metal. I was told that I could use carbon monoxide and the bubbly stuff to leak test. Is that because the molecules are smaller than compressed air and would show a smaller leak? I very comfident with welding but could use a little guidance. Thanks Mac for your help.

Comment

Not sure if carbon monoxide is what you'll use.

Comment

More likely carbon dioxide

Comment

I welded tanks everyday for 5 years with dual shield and 75/25 or CO2 in later years because of my certs and the company procedures. I would use .035 dual shield as .045 prob will get some burn thru. I air tested my tanks to 16# on the thin tanks and 60# on the thicker ones. Then my thicker ones were hydro tested to 1200# for so many hours. I used Dawn dish soap and water sprayed on with a hand sprayer...Bob
            Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I didn't want to try to fill it with carbon monoxide that's for sure. I'll have to go visit his shop to see what he's getting exactly. From what I know I leave a .0625 expansion joint on pipe to coupling fit ups and more than one pass but I'll be trying to see if there is a welding code to verify. Grind/file down weld start and termination run over previous weld on start/stopping. Hopefully there just painted or primed and not powdercoated.

Comment

Sounds like a plan...Bob
                Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

What are the local codes for installation? Don't put pipe in tight to socket coulper
                  Last edited by Bls repair; 10-20-2017, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Under ground tanks must have all valves located in one area for easy access, sacrificial annodes placed beneath tank to prevent electrolysys, must be strapped down to prevent floating during a flood. I found this pic online but could imagine the hurricane stirred up a bunch of sales. Still in the fog on any kind of welding procedure.

Comment

Working...
                    X