Millermatic 180 wire feed problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millermatic 180 wire feed problems

I was looking for some help if anyone has suggestions.

The wire feed roller doesnt really want to turn. If you help it spin while the trigger is pressed, it will try to feed but stops. I was originally thinking it was the motor but after taking it out and putting it on a 12v battery, it runs just fine. Using a multimeter, I checked and Im getting 6v on low wire speed up to 24v on the highest. What I'm not getting is any amps. The multimeter is saying 0 amps. I was reading about the PTC1 issues of these machines but I dont think that it is the issue. I dont want to throw a new $250 circuit board in to find out that it wasnt the board.

This welder is 16 years old but hasnt had but a spool and a half of wire through it. The machine will power on, try to weld and just stop due to the lack of wire feed.

Any suggestions?

How are you hooking up the multimeter to measure amps? Are you experienced in using this function on your multimeter?

Is this testing being done with no wire, to eliminate the drive roll pressure or wire path from the list of suspects?

Comment

I'm testing without without the motor attached with the multimeter leads pushed into the connector on DC amperage. I have also tested it with the motor connected. I'm not a pro with a multimeter.

I can't get the drive roller to spin completely unloaded no wire or even the pressure roller down.
      Last edited by 8mpg; 10-18-2017, 08:26 PM.

Comment

It's the board. It comes with not changing your liner often enough. I've seen machines with the drive roll adjustment cranked down to the bottom with pliers. Board draws too many amps and pops. Replace the board. Put a new liner in at the correct length. Don't kink the liner going in. Buy a spare liner and change it often. Make sure your wire is free of rust.

Comment

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
          I'm testing without without the motor attached with the multimeter leads pushed into the connector on DC amperage. I have also tested it with the motor connected. I'm not a pro with a multimeter.

I can't get the drive roller to spin completely unloaded no wire or even the pressure roller down.
          Motors draws very little amps. That's why it so important to make sure the board isn't subject to a lot of amps from cranking down on the drive roll.

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
            ...It comes with not changing your liner often enough. ... Buy a spare liner and change it often.....
            Okay, is there something to this? I've never changed a liner in my life. Where are you finding this to be a scheduled maintenance replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post

Okay, is there something to this? I've never changed a liner in my life. Where are you finding this to be a scheduled maintenance replacement?
              My liner has been in my gun since 1999 and I am just now changing it, because I have a new one...Bob
              Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
              http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by 1997CST View Post
                It's the board. It comes with not changing your liner often enough. I've seen machines with the drive roll adjustment cranked down to the bottom with pliers. Board draws too many amps and pops. Replace the board. Put a new liner in at the correct length. Don't kink the liner going in. Buy a spare liner and change it often. Make sure your wire is free of rust.
                Thanks, I'll look to see if I can find a board. I wouldnt expect the liner to be the issue, it only has a large spool and a half through it.

Comment

if the liner is kinked it can pose a real problem. so we are assuming it is a good liner.
                  Machines that get moved around a lot sometimes get damaged for various reasons. And a spool and a half in 16 years means it may have rust in the liner.
                  Setting is about the hardest thing on a welder, unless maybe you keep it under your bed
                  I see a steady feed of guys coming through the LWS needing liners or new guns. But we do have a large amount of DIY's in my area for many reasons.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                  Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                  MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                  Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                  Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                  Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                  Miller WC-115-A
                  Miller Spectrum 300
                  Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                  Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                  X