Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will I be disappointed with a Syncrowave 210?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will I be disappointed with a Syncrowave 210?

Hello all, I am a hobbyist here looking for advice on my next welder purchase. I've been using a Miller Maxstar 140STR for the past 10 years probably and finally looking for upgrade. I love my little welder, but the better I've gotten (I'm self taught) the more limitations I find with it. I'm also wanting the capability to weld aluminum. As much as I'd love a dynasty 210dx or similar it's just not in the budget, I've kept a close eye on craigslist for the past year or so and anytime anything worth a darn comes up (which is rare) it's gone before I can even get off work! The only other TIG machines that seem to pop up are outdated, worn out overpriced units. I've just gotten to the point where I've decided to just buy new. I'm not as much interested in the MIG capabilities (I plan on buying a new MIG welder next year), as I'm interested in how good of a TIG welder it is? With the current "build with blue" incentives the machines are hovering around $2,500, which is in the price range I was looking to spend. I do a LOT of thin sheet metal (16, 18, 20ga) and some plate, I'm wanting to start doing more chassis fabrication. I do weld stainless, headers, exhaust etc. Will this machine fit my needs? I can't seem to find a whole lot of opinions on these machines, and since I don't plan on buying another machine for another 10 years, I want to make sure it's a solid one. Any real world experience with one? Any better options for me?

I have a 5 or 6 year old syncrwave 200 and love it. I've had bigger syncrowaves that were water cooled and an abp 300. I used a Lincoln squarewave 225 which seemed to have a shorter duty cycle. The 210 replaced the 200 and if my 200 can't be repaired, I'm giong with the 210.

Comment

What's wrong with outdated equipment? It's my personal favorite. Some of that old stuff will be around long after we're all gone. Plus you'll have some extra cash for a plasma cutter.

Comment

A Sync 250 will still be working 30 years after the Sync 210 inverter stuff is smoked.
        And a 330A/BP will still be welding 60 years after the Sync 210 is history (plus it'll weld aluminum foil...go over to WeldingWeb for proof).
        Last edited by Helios; 10-17-2017, 05:20 AM.

Comment

I have NO problem with outdated equipment, I just don't want to pay an unrealistic price for it! I also don't want to buy one offline where I can't test it in person before purchase. I'll continue to keep my eyes open for used equipment but come Christmas if I haven't found anything I'm ready to make a purchase new or used.

Comment

Since some are mentioning the syncr 250 I thought I would comment on that since I have used and owned them for the last 30 years. They are great machines but are power hungry. They are best hooked to a 100 amp circuit which most people don't have in there house/garage. How ever they can be run off a 50 amp breaker at lower settings but that may not be ideal for your situation.

As far as a sync 200 or 210 I have never used one so I can't comment but I have owned a Lincoln 175 tig and it is bullet proof. These are transformer machines so very little to go wrong.
            MM250
            Trailblazer 250g
            22a feeder
            Lincoln ac/dc 225
            Victor O/A
            MM200 black face
            Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
            Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
            Arco roto-phase model M
            Vectrax 7x12 band saw
            Miller spectrum 875
            30a spoolgun w/wc-24
            Syncrowave 250
            RCCS-14

Comment

Everything wears out. It's all about return on investment vs how often you use it.
              A lot of automotive DC tig to me means I would go crazy without a fingertip control. That would mean if you used an old 330 A/BP you would need to wire a on-off button or lug around the heavy pedal they have.
              The inverter arc on Dynasties are much better IMO
              Saying that the Sync 210 is an animal I know nothing about. If it welds (arc) like a Dynasty that would be nice.
              Inverters do have a tendency to go up in smoke from time to time. Kinda like our new vehicles.
              Just realize once you are out of warranty you are on lesser borrowed time than when the old transformers would have been.
              You would be better served to find a used 350 Dynasty or a new 280 DX for your style of work and what you are looking to evolve into from my perspective.
              I borrow money (plastic) and then get what I NEED and then pay back as fast as possible with the welding money. I have gotten a LONG LONG ways doing that. A couple of good jobs can go a long ways towards a machine. Then you are sailing with real usable duty cycle.
              YMMV...... Plan A is all I have

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Miller's pricing right now is outstanding. I'm using a Diversion 180 and an older ESAB Heliarc when I do TIG work (about 10% of what I do). The 180 has some limitations regarding its presets and you might find that a problem. For chassis fab and exhaust work I do on the farm equipment and vehicles I'm restoring (11 total) I fall back on my Miller 252 MIG.

I think the Synchowave is another outstanding TIG, sure wish I were better at it --- a company I worked for in LA (Northrop Grumman) invented TIG welding.
                Last edited by Crepe Myrtle Farmer; 10-17-2017, 09:31 AM.
                ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
                Spectrum 875
                Diversion 180
                Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
                Miller 252
                MM 211
                CST 280
                Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

If you are going to buy a separate Mig machine then you are paying a lot for functions you will not use.

Sync 210 is $2,839.00 ($2,639.00 w. rebate)
                  Rated output on 240v: AC Tig 114Amps @ 60%. Duty Cycle

The Lincoln SQ Wave 200 is $1,449.00
                  rated output on 240v : TIG: 200A/25% TIG: 160A/40% TIG: 130A/60%

If you only need a Tig machine the Lincoln will save you a ton of money to put towards a Mig machine.

You mentioned AL welding- what thickness ? as that will also come into play on choosing a machine as both of these are a little lite on power for thicker AL.
                  Last edited by Broccoli1; 10-19-2017, 01:20 PM.
                  Ed Conley
                  http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
                  MM252
                  MM211
                  Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
                  TA185
                  Miller 125c Plasma 120v
                  O/A set
                  SO 2020 Bender
                  You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                    Rated output on 240v: AC Tig 114Amps @ 60%. Duty Cycle.
                    Wow, that's wimpier than I would have expected. My Sync 250 is 200A at 60% duty cycle, 250A at 40% duty cycle, and a max of 310A. And the Lincoln is REALLY wimpy on aluminum.

Last edited by Helios; 10-19-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the input, that Lincoln is looking really good. I just don't like using a spool gun, so I know I'd eventually be buying a more capable MIG unit as well.

As far as the thickness of aluminum, I really don't know since I've never welded it before. I figure I'd initially be welding sheet metal (16ga etc), I really just wanted to have a machine that I had the capability to weld aluminum with (so that I could learn).

Comment

I would buy an HTP Invertig 221 long before the Lincoln myself. Super machine and no problems, from reading all the great reviews I've seen for years now on here and other welding forums.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Broccoli1 View Post
                          If you are going to buy a separate Mig machine then you are paying a lot for functions you will not use.

Rated output on 240v: AC Tig 114Amps @ 60%. Duty Cycle

The Lincoln SQ Wave 200 is $1,449.00
                          rated output on 240v : TIG: 200A/25% TIG: 160A/40% TIG: 130A/60%

If you only need a Tig machine the Lincoln will save you a ton of money to put towards a Mig machine.

You mentioned AL welding- what thickness ? as that will also come into play on choosing a machine as both of these are a little lite on power for thicker AL.
                          I agree with you on the sync 200 for thicker aluminum, its tough once you start welding over 1/4". I am always using a smaller tungsten and rod than what is recomended for 1/4", but I personally have used my sync 200 and a Lincoln 225 squarewave on the same parts, and the lincoln had a much lower duty cycle on DC, welding stainless close to 200 amps. The fan kicks on almost immediately and the machine kept shutting off after short welds. This was on some heavier stainless 300 series and alloy 20.

Comment

Working...
                          X