Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernard guns

Hello all,
    So Iíve heard a lot of good things about the Bernard guns. I have a miller 211, so 150 or 200 amp gun would be ideal. Any downside with running a 300 amp gun, and changing the liner to a 30\35 wire size?

Reason I ask is, on eBay the 300 amp Bernard guns for miller usually sell for about $150. The 150/200 amp guns go for much more. It is somewhat strange because the retail prices on a 300 amp guns are more than the retail on 150/200 guns. I have also noticed that the 400 amp guns sell less than the 300 amp guns. Which is also strange, but I suspect may due to greater demand for the lower amp guns. So if I could get a replacement liner into the 300 amp gun for the smaller wire size, will there be any downside to run it on the 211? Besides the fact it is obviously going to be a little heavier

Just the weight go for it...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Just an old guy's two cents worth---Will it work? I see no reason why not if it has the standard Miller end on it. But, big clunky guns are a pain if you don't need the high current, at least in my view. The Miller gun that came with my old-style MM211 works fine and is comfortable to use. I had the old GA-20 Miller (big and heavy) on my MM200; since most welding I do with it does not require all it's power, I got a great deal at Cyberweld on a Bernard Q150 a couple of years ago and hung the old monster on the wall. Dramatic improvement in my estimation. And when I pick up the 300 amp Tweco gun attached to the wire feeder on the Trailblazer, It just feels way out of proportion for light work. How much money are you saving? How much do you weld? With the 211 duty cycle, the bigger gun may not tire you out since you won't be welding continuously. But a big gun sure feels clunky to me on light jobs, and harder to get into tight places.

Comment

I agree about being clunky. I like the lightest gun I can use without melting it...Bob
        Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
        http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Yes, a big clunky gun would be a downside ...interestingly the 200 and 300 amp guns use the same small handle, not as small as the 150, but the smallest of the q series guns

Comment

I have a Bernard 400 amp gun I use with Dual Shield on a MM252. It is bulky, clumsy. The M25 that came stock is delicate compared to this.
            Dynasty 280DX
            Bobcat 250
            MM252
            Spool gun
            Twentieth Century 295
            Twentieth Century 295 AC
            Marquette spot welder
            Smith torches

Comment

Working...
            X