Miller Thunderbolt will not arc.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Thunderbolt will not arc.

Ok kinda hard to explain, I dusted off the old Thunderbolt today haven't touched a stick welder in probbaly 40 years. Fired it up with some1/8" E6013 rod set at about 120amps welding some 1/8" plate first pass immediately struck an arc and laid down a pretty nice bead. Ran several more beads and had maybe a half stick left. Tried to strike another arc for a pass on the back side and nothing , nadda, zip, zilch. My stell was perfectly clean and even cleaned it after flap disc with acetone. Got so disgusted put it down and switched to the mig. Just for the heck of it tried it on some square tubing with a 19g wall dialed it way down and it worked ok.

Any ideas" I'm baffled a friend said sounded like a diode was going south make any sense?

I would go through all the screwed/bolted connections inside and make sure they're tight, as well as your leads. Try welding on AC and see what happens. That takes the diodes out of the circuit. In general, it's safe to say diodes are not intermittent. They're either good or bad. That's a pretty bulletproof machine-not much to go wrong in there. Please post your ser no.

Comment

Make sure the plastic insulator where your cables plug in isn't cracked or broke. If they break then the plug shorts out on the faceplate/metal case of the welder...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
        Make sure the plastic insulator where your cables plug in isn't cracked or broke. If they break then the plug shorts out on the faceplate/metal case of the welder...Bob
        Thanks Bob thats very possibly my problem as the ends and leads have seen better days. I'll make up a new set

Comment

Working...
        X