welding advice?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding advice?

I'm currently attending icc in mississippi for welding ,never having done it before, I consider myself decent and have picked up on mig and tig easily. I'll graduate in December ..is there any advice anyone can give me as to getting a job or little tips n tricks that could help me pursue my career further?

Get certs if the school offers them. You'll have to re cert in house wherever hires you. But with no experience straight out of school a cert or two will help get your foot in the door

Comment

My son works at a US Navy Shipyard and all I can say about "certs" is they're not universally accepted everywhere. Navy / NAVSEA has their own and don't really recognize others. I came from aerospace and welding is not expanding like it once was given the growth of composites. My son has done some underwater work and is planning on getting add'l training at an underwater school (I think it's in Northern FL, not sure). I believe underwater is a growth area.

Another area that is growing is alternative energy infrastructure (e.g. fracking).

ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
      Spectrum 875
      Diversion 180
      Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
      Miller 252
      MM 211
      CST 280
      Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

You won't be able to walk on a job with certs from a school no. They'll still certify you in house. But they help you at least get to the point of taking a weld test for someone. All grades of people go to welding school. People even finish school being unable to pass a certification. I personally got a degree from a 2yr school. In the process I saw many guys trying for jobs. The guys who had passed certifications got interviews and tests far more frequently than the guys who just wrote I went to welding school on their applications. Just my experience

Comment

thanks for the advice I'm decent at stick n better at tig and mig I've been practicing my tests as often as possible trying to hone it in I agree with what your all saying about certs I live outside of tupelo, MS and there is a lot of shop welding around I work in a CNC shop who is looking for a welder soon but I have no idea if they plan to keep bc I'm part time and they're kind of wishy washy with part timers I appreciate it greatly

Comment

If you really want that welding job in the CNC shop I suggest you throw a few test coupons of your TIG, or other, work in your car. Then seek out the person who has the final say in hiring decisions such as the welding shop supervisor or manager. Don't bother with Human Resources or other administrative personnel. Go right to the boss. Show him your work, and tell him you want this job. Literally say, "I want this job. This will show that you have initiative and that you really want the job. It is very important to tell a hiring manager that you want the job, and if asks, tell him why.

One last thing, he may put you on the spot and ask how much money you want. To that you may say, well first I'd like to get an offer from the company. Or, you might give him a number that you would be happy with. Don't be shy. This is business. Sooner or later money will come up.

Comment

Some advice that my father gave me after owning a production sheet metal / stamping shop for years, take a crash course in welding, then start a welding business and hire a professional welder. I didn't take his advise and started working for a large plumbing contractor as a welder's helper after welding school. There is nothing like learning a trade like welding on the job.

Comment

I have some er70s2 in several sizes that have some rust spots. Would you just throw it all out? Or, scotchbrite it and use it up? I have already bought some new, but just hate to throw it out. Any I would use would not be on a WPS or critical job.

Comment

Depends on what you consider to be "some rust spots." Try it; you'll know right away if it welds or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Crepe Myrtle Farmer View Post
                    My son works at a US Navy Shipyard and all I can say about "certs" is they're not universally accepted everywhere. Navy / NAVSEA has their own and don't really recognize others. I came from aerospace and welding is not expanding like it once was given the growth of composites. My son has done some underwater work and is planning on getting add'l training at an underwater school (I think it's in Northern FL, not sure). I believe underwater is a growth area.

Another area that is growing is alternative energy infrastructure (e.g. fracking).
                    I didn't realize "fracking" was associated with "alternative energy." Always thought it was for oil & gas production.

Griff

Comment

Oil and gas are the economical alternative !!!

Comment

Im a unio ironworker and we always have a need for welders. The boilermakers and pipefitters also employ excellent welders. I wont preach union to you but its a good career with great pay but union isnt for everyone. Pipe welders in my area get paid really good as long as you arent afraid of work. The big thing is is that welding in a school with nice clean iron and brand new machines isnt the same as welding in the field with rusty iron and a dinosaur machine. Get some good field experience on your resume and then you can go anywhereÂ*

Comment

Hola busco trabajo de soldadura una dirección que tengan ustedes o trabajo que me pasen gracias.

Comment

They use hydro fracking also to drill water wells up here in New England Geo thermal wells also used for heating and cooling is a growing endeavor .

Comment

Working...
                            X