Dynasty 300dx value

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 300dx value

So I am looking to upgrade my Diversion 180. It was a good machine to get me started with Tig but I am running into limitations with thick aluminum. Of course the Dynasty is at the top of my list. However this is not for a high volume production shop so I can't justify new.

I am going to look at a Dynasty 300dx tigrunner package tomorrow. He is asking $5400 but I think I can talk him down a little. The kit is complete with cart, welder, cooler, consumables, K or J sized cylinder and at least one torch. This is cheaper than a new 280dx but still not pocket change. Is there anything I should look for in particular problem wise? Does this sound like a fair deal or still too high? I have no basis for comparison since I almost never see Dynasty's come up for sale in this area.

Trying to look through the model history, is there any advantage to the newer models over one from about 10+ years ago?

Do a search on this forum for Dynasty 300 and I think you will find it would be better to buy a more current machine. The technology has come a long way, and I cant say for sure but would expect that machine to be old enough to start having parts availability problems. Not a path I personally would go down with an inverter machine. YMMV.

Comment

Thanks,
      I had done some research and I will do some more reading. I will make sure to test AC to see if there is a board failure. I guess in this case unless he comes way down in price I will keep looking.

Comment

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...%22300dx%22%7D
        Ed Conley
        http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
        MM252
        MM211
        Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
        TA185
        Miller 125c Plasma 120v
        O/A set
        SO 2020 Bender
        You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Do you need all the features that the Dynasty series offers?

Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender
          You can call me Bacchus

Comment

Do I NEED every feature? Of course not. I do however firmly believe in overkill. The weight and power requirements rules out a syncrowave and a Maxstar really isn't going to be less money is it? Mainly I am looking for more power but balance, frequency control and pulse would benefit me greatly. I am open to recommendations as well. My work is mostly motorsports repair and fabrication. Titanium/Stainless exhaust, Head/Block repair, Roll Cages, sheet metal, etc.

Having an electronics background I'm not really afraid of inverter troubleshooting and repair as long as its not a proprietary chip that fails. For this reason I have considered offshore machines as well. But obviously I have liked every Miller machine I have used and want the best of the best.

Since I cannot use the leads/torch off the Diversion I cannot swing the 8K+ for a complete Dynasty setup new. Once I have a good collection of accessories just upgrading the power source will be a lot easier. I'm trying to find something for <$4500 (hence used) but I can push that a little bit.

Comment

Don't buy it. It is WAY to old for that kind of money.
              When it craps out, no one can fix it.
              Sorry but true.
              I can't imagine that kind of money. All you would be paying for is the accessories after it fails.
              You would be better off to buy a barebones 280DX and use it air cooled to begin with.
              Bottom line, Do you wanna weld or play with welders?
              If you wanna play with welders then buy one that is already toast for a couple hundred bucks to begin with and save a few thousand.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Fair enough! This is why I posted for your collective wisdom. The used equipment market is rough, I see people asking 2K for 80 year old welders or 100 year old belt driven lathes buried up to the ways in dirt.

I have carts, filler and tungstens so there is no reason I can't start with an air-cooled torch and add water cooling later.

I bought my Monarch bare and had to spend a ton in tooling. A package deal is appealing but not always the best deal. Thanks for the advice!

Comment

A wise decision! You will love the Dynasty. I have one of the later Dynasty 200DXs. What a machine!

Comment

I agree with Aronica41 AKA Air Knocker (I'm an aviator by trade) My Dynasty 210DX is slicker than bat guano. It along with a coolmate, it might be within your price range. I upgraded from a very good import welder and just purchased the power unit by itself since I already have a homebuilt cooler, torches, and other equipment. I just wish the warranty was as long as Lincoln's is.

Comment

Wow--thanks for the memory ! First time I've heard anyone say Airknocker since Dad passed away in 2003!

Comment

I watched an Airknocker turn into a Piper chopper one time. The plane got away from the pilot after he hand cranked it. It then taxied over and chopped a Cherokees fuselage in half just aft of the wing trailing edge. Thank god nobody was hurt. Airknocker 1, Cherokee 0 .

Comment

My rule for hand propping is either a capable person in the cockpit or airplane tied down and chocked. Always. No excuses. Scary stuff!

Comment

I was watching a clever old boy use a system he devised that allows him to start the engine, climb into the plane, remove the chocks, and disconnect the tailwheel from where it was moored. It would work on almost any tail dragger. Have a good one!

Comment

Working...
                            X