Welding manganese

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding manganese

Hello fellow welders i have a question that i am having a hard time finding an answer to. I have 20 plus years of welding experience but have ran into something kicking my ass everyday. Welding manganese caps on a very large hammer mill. I know pre and post heat are what first comes to mind but even this does nothing for the welds cracking almost instantly. The caps are 3/4" thick material weighing in around 100 # but when you run a weld then move to another area the welds already laid will pop loud and leave a crack bigger than the one under Donald Trumps nose. Ive used stainless rod,7018,11018,e71t11 wire any and everything and nothing is working. The other problem to consider is I have a small window of time to weld these caps usually 3-5 hours. Any feedback woukd be helpful

Why not use Nickel Manganese electrodes? http://crownalloys.com/TechSheet/HAR...e_08-15-17.pdf ...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Thats one ive not tried yet but will check to see availability from our supplier. Do you know if they are all position? The big majority of these caps have to be welded in a vertical positionÂ*

Comment

Scratch that another rod ive been using is similar to that. Hf 540 from R&M welding in Wilder Ky is very similar they dont crack as bad but do still crack at the joints but not at the pins that hold them to rotor. The big problem too is that i have to rush everything so this machine can be up and running when we are non peak hours for the electric company. It runs on 2 2500 hp electric motors. I dont even want to imagine that electric billÂ*

Comment

Originally posted by mikey 028 View Post
          The big problem too is that i have to rush everything so this machine can be up and running
          Some jobs just can't be hurried and expected to be good. Been there...Bob
          Bob Wright

Comment

Originally posted by mikey 028 View Post
            I know pre and post heat are what first comes to mind but even this does nothing for the welds cracking almost instantly....
            What are your temperatures and procedures for this?

Comment

Sounds like the engineering department needs to stay for some overtime and figure it out before the accounting department figures out how much they're going to loose when it fails during production.
              Ryan
              MILLERMATIC 350P w/Bernard BTB300 w/XR-A Python 25'
              MULTIMATIC 200 w/Spoolmate 100 w/TIG w/Wireless pedal
              SPECTRUM 375 X-Treme
              (2) DIGITAL ELITE helmets
              Weld-Mask goggles/hood
              OPTREL e684 helmet
              SMITH torches
              HARRIS torches

Comment

The machine is an automobile shredder and sometimes i have a 5 hour window to get them done which means i have to start as soon as it stops. The problem there is is its about 450 degrees for about 30 minutes then drops to 350 for awhile. My target temp is supposed to be 300 degrees. The other problem is the engineering dept and accounting dept. is the same guy. He doesnt understand maintenance he only understands cheddar. I need a solution we've brought people in and all theyÂ* say is use 309L rods and keep your temps under 300. The overall size of rotor is 7' diameter by 10' length and weighs in around 30000 lbs. So cooling it is not an easy task. Oh yeah and its 20' in the air

Comment

Yup that's a typical go by his book guy that doesn't have a clue...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Comment

Hes got 7 million wrapped up in this one would think he would want to take care of it but i guess hes just worried about getting his money back so he can put it right back into it

Comment

Is this machine manufactured? I'd guess the manufacturer would have a specific procedure for this task, or do they sell entire hammers to avoid welding.
                      Dynasty 280DX
                      Bobcat 250
                      MM252
                      Spool gun
                      Twentieth Century 295
                      Twentieth Century 295 AC
                      Marquette spot welder
                      Smith torches

Comment

Yea we replace the hammers after every 4000 ton. The caps are what i weld when we replace them. They say to use stoody 110 mc wire. That wire is a flat and horizontal wire and as mentioned most of the welding is vertical

Comment

Not real familiar with welding manganese. But do a lot of similar work in under ground rock and saw mill repairs.
                          In my work the pre heat sounds a little low. Especially with that thick of material. I like my 4130-4140 to be between 400 & 600 deg. And keep my inter-pass temp not over 500
                          Just did some work on Tri-blaze which is high grade bullet proof type steel that was 5” thick.
                          I think the speck on it was 400 deg. Min pre heat & Inter-pass keep 500 or less.
                          Another tip is pre heat with propane it soaks deeper than acy and much cheaper.
                          Stoody is very knowledgeable company and so is Postalloy. I call there tech department and they are the ones that can lead you in correct process and material to use. Those guys know what there doing.
                          It’s the carbon & contraction that will bite your
                          A** figure that out and your day will be better.
                          Just some thoughts from a old welder

Comment

Thanks for the input i will call stoody and see what they say and let you know

Comment

Originally posted by gnforge View Post
                              Stoody is very knowledgeable company and so is Postalloy. I call there tech department and they are the ones that can lead you in correct process and material to use. Those guys know what there doing.

Just some thoughts from a old welder
                              I knew of Stoody but not Postalloy, thanks for the lead. Great info on their website, I'll bookmark this.

Richard

Comment

Working...
                              X