Miller Thunderbolt 225 XL Ser. No. LF190194Y issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miller Thunderbolt 225 XL Ser. No. LF190194Y issue

I used this welder about three years ago (worked fine) and the person who owned it was selling it so I bought it. Get it home plug it in the fan comes on but no weld power. If that is the correct term? It had not been used since I used it last when it did work. Is there something that I should be looking at from sitting for three years with no maintenance or use? (The shunt possibly?) This is the AC/DC model and it does not work on any setting. The only troubleshooting I've done is to make sure I had 220 V at the plug/ outlet.

There isn't much to go wrong with those machines. Take the cover off and look for any loose connections or anything that looks like it might have been hot. Are you electrically knowledgeable to safely measure voltages and troubleshoot if we can guide you? Or have someone who can help?

Comment

I do have some electrical training. I can measure voltage, resistance, continuity just not amps.

Comment

Good. First thing to do is to work the polarity switch back and forth through it's range of travel several times--might be just a dirty contact. If that doesn't work, I would begin by doing voltage checks to the transformer primary but since the fan comes on the switch and primary power wiring to the transformer are likely OK. My first guess is the polarity selector switch has a bad connection. Do your troubleshooting on AC since that takes the diodes out of the circuit. Connect one meter lead to your work (ground ) lead and then follow the stinger lead back to the transformer with your meter looking for AC voltage. Check at each connection and at the polarity switch. If that doesn't work, reverse the process--hook one meter lead to the stinger and work backthe work lead path. Your welder has a max output voltage of 80 so be looking for 70-80 volts. You are going to find an open circuit somewhere I'm sure.

Comment

I will try it in am. I did work the switch pretty good and changed amps.

Comment

Or if sticking your hands in there with voltage "on" makes your nervous.. shut it off and unplug it and follow Aeronca41 advice from work and electrode readings on ohms... It should be low ohms reading until you hit an open somewhere on AC setting...

Also ohm input plug with fan disconnected and switch on to check primary of transformer.
            Last edited by Popscott; 10-07-2017, 07:42 AM.

Comment

Well I decided to just try tightening everything inside before checking voltages. The screw from the switch to the transformer turned maybe an eighth of a turn, plugged it in and tried it out and we were welding. I appreciate the help.

One quick question on slag, I am using a 7014 and the slag doesn't seem to come off easily when the metals hot and really doesn't want to come off if I let the weld cool down. Is this normal for that stick or do I have the temperature set to high/to low?

Comment

Well, that was easy! Glad you found it so quickly and the fix cost nothing.

As to the slag--Are you hitting it with a chipping hammer? 7014 should have pretty easy-to-remove slag. Heat is much more about managing penetration and weld quality than slag removal.

Comment

Me too, slightly loose and probably a little corrosion. Welds easy with the 7014 off brand, had been using 6013 Miller sticks and the slag practically pealed itself off. I am using a pick style slag hammer and it mostly comes off but to get all of it I use a cup brush on angle grinder.

Comment

6013 slag is the easiest to remove, I think. 7014 may be a bit harder. Could try a name brand.

Comment

Well again thanks for the help.

Comment

Glad to help. You have a virtually bulletproof welder there. I would never give mine up.

Comment

I hardly ever use my thunderbolt anymore, but won't sell it because I know it will always work....like when all these fancy schmancy inverter machines go tits up.

Comment

That's why there is a Lincoln AC/DC tombstone collecting dust in a corner of my shop.

Comment

Originally posted by ryanjones2150 View Post
                              I hardly ever use my thunderbolt anymore, but won't sell it because I know it will always work....like when all these fancy schmancy inverter machines go tits up.
                              You're doubly safe--you also have Helga.

Comment

Working...
                              X