what would be a good welder to hook on to a bobcat 225 for pipe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what would be a good welder to hook on to a bobcat 225 for pipe

what machine would be good addition to a bobcat 225 to be able to weld with 6010 root/pipe welding out in the field?
    want good arc and such and portable!

Comment

Right on.
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Lolll i like that alot!!! however people were saying that the bobcat 225 was not the best for welding pipes !?
        i havnt try it yet..just bought it , not here yet, but i guess i will try with the stinger first..if nor i got a dynasty 200dx that should do the trick...

Comment

Otherwise i will go with the cst 280

Comment

still laughing at the picture previously posted

Comment

But why would you think the bobcat is no good for pipe? Must have talked to a die hard sa200 guy

Comment

I have a friend who is a pipeliner. I swear the sun rises and sets with his sa200. But he claims most pipeliners feel the same way. We talked about this a while back here in the forum. Guys said that the arc characteristics was what the hype was all about. I have no idea, just regurgitating what others have said.

Comment

Well, yeah, a pure DC generator machine is going to be super nice for the job, and the SA series set the gold standard for arc quality.

But you'll try for a machine like that when you can. You ALREADY HAVE the Bobcat, and it will get the job done. This is one of these cases where the clichť fits: It's not the arrow; it's the Indian.

You will REALLY appreciate a better machine when your skills are at that next level. By then, you'll have been on the job, making contacts, and upgrading all your gear as you go.

Now, there are some jobs where you'll get laughed off the jobsite if you show up with a Bobcat; but if this was one of those, you'd already know it by now, because you'd have to be at that level to even be there. And even then, the job could be done with a Bobcat; it's just that the guys at that level will have the best.
                  Last edited by MAC702; 10-06-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

So in other words.....if you are going to "the Field"....to weld pipe, as in like make a living. And you wanna use a Bobcat? You are gonna be sorry.
                    Get the right stuff and quit throwing good money after bad!!
                    The Bobcat is basically a lawn mower engine with a generator. Rigging another machine on it to weld pipe in "the Field" is adding a whole bunch of unnecessary equipment simply to either duplicate what is already proven or prove something else will work. The leads and reels cost more than a Bobcat is worth.
                    Don't do it. It wont hold up. You will be driving hundreds of miles to repair shops to have your crap fixed while your peers will be way out in the sticks make tons of cash. Not to mention while other dudes are driving up and pulling cable from their reels, you will be dragging your stuff around and hooking up cords and such when they have been welding for a while. The duty cycle isn't really there for heavy industrial such as that.
                    You have a "Mobile Repair" setup with what you are putting together. What you can do there the pipe guys can't. Like weld mobile aluminum in a marine environment.
                    You need a 3/4 ton or bigger 4wd and a SA200 minimum if you want to get called back or possibly even a chance at "the Field"
                    Even if you did somehow use that set-up, you would get sick and tired of all the breakdowns and constant trash talk, only to either quit or buy the right stuff and later admit the simple old Lincoln machine was the better way to go.
                    Think about it. Those old rusty machines have been sitting out in the snow and sun for 50+ years and still work fantastic. That spells super reliable when maintained.
                    And that is only the equipment side of it, not even getting into the pipeliner lifestyle and if you are cut out for that or not.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                    Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                    Miller WC-115-A
                    Miller Spectrum 300
                    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                    Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

If you are die hard miller then you will need a big 40 diesel at the minimum. But on most pipeline jobs the old saying still stands if it aint gray you cant stay. The sa series are high dollar but go online and hit some auctions you can find a good one at reasonable price

Comment

Thanks for the replies all , But where i am at there is no real pipeline per say.Im not either welding in open pit repairing giant shovel... at least not now. I understand that if i was going to weld pipe day in day out and such i would need a lot bigger/better machine ..but here where i am the works i got is always different. Welding on a steel pipe one day, the next day could be on sanitary products and the next could be building handrails..or fixing cast aluminum on a gear case...thats why i was leaning towards the "bobcat" and use it as a power source more than anything.I was going to use my dynasty for tig /stick ,12 vs for flux , and maybe stick with the bobcat on random pipe jobs....That was my thoughts.

Comment

I see you mentioned the 12vs. I recently got a 12vs and I weld everything with it i love¬* machine but my next purchase will be a maxstar or a multi process machine. Im in the same boat i weld on a hammer¬* one day and a shear on an excavator the next then a loader and so on but my 12vs is my choice for everything a¬* truly great machine

Comment

Working...
                          X