miller bobcat 225g low voltage output

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• miller bobcat 225g low voltage output

Recently bought a miller bobcat 225G Plus with the 16hp onan. Serial number KE680168. Got the engine running good but the generator wasn't putting out any power to any 120v sockets, 240v or welding electrode. So I cleaned slip rings and brushes. As well as I replaced both F1 and F2 fuse. Fired it up and I had enough power to power on my work-light I had plugged into it, as well as a hand grinder I plugged into it so I wanted to check the volts on the 120v outlets and it was only at 68v on high idle and 26-28v on low idle, So I tried welding and it strikes an arc but it acts like it is stuck on 10amps (I'm using 1/8" 7018) so it is barley enough power to melt the electrode and keep an arc going. Tried adjusting the fine adjustment control rheostat (amp adjustment), it makes no difference wether the knob is on 0% or 100% it still welds like it is stuck on very low amps. Tried cleaning the weld process switch and course adjust switch. Makes no difference. Put new brushes on it. Still only cranks out 68v on high idle to the power outlets and 28 on low. I have the SR2 bridge rectifier on the way just because it's a cheap part (8$) and I was told could possibly be part of the issue as well as the capacitor. I have not got a new capacitor yet. Looking for some more advice before I just keep buying all these parts..

What is your idle set at and weld high idle set ?

Comment

Also check your r2 resistor for corrosion on the spade/ terminals it looks like small corn cob also check the tap bands that attach to it for corrosion it should be mounted up top behind your control panel you can down load a manual on this site with your serial #

Comment

Checked r2, cleaned the spades. Loosened the tap band and then tightened it up again no corrosion I could see. The idle is set at 2215 and load is set at 3750

Comment

Any other suggestions???? Need help

Comment

No mention of rheostat....... Does your rheostat read from 0 to 10 ohms between two outside legs when adjusted? (May need to remove wire 21)

Comment

Thank you for the reply! Really appreciate any advice or help.👍🏼 I will check the rheostat tomorrow and get back to you on that. But my question is, why would the 120v outlets/sockets be putting out 67v on high idle, Would the rheostat effect that?

Comment

Yes... if you'll look at the small lettering by the rheostat knob.. set at 10 for max ac power... A welder set at 0 will give about 60ish AC aux and also give the minimum welder output (which puts your max output of the welder at best of 85 amps) . And it may not be the rheostat, but it is a quick and easy measure.
                Also when taking measurement on the two outside legs (from my post above), be sure and leave the wire 23 jumper wire between middle terminal and outside terminal in place
                Last edited by Popscott; 09-25-2017, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X