No announcement yet.

bobcat 3 phase wont strike an arc

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You've only been wrong once?! Me too!! I tried to tell my wife that but she got offended.

Comment

yea....the big Lincoln I have here(next project..ha)..has dc outlets..this morning I took the c1 in to an electrical shop to have tested with a capacitance tester and it checks ok dangit...will put it back on and check main stator.

Comment

full stator from 10 to 12 is 45vac @2200....75vac @3750..
        weld stator from 11 to 12 is 26vac@2200...45vac@3750..
        outlet voltage is high to me...82vac @2200..138vac @3750

any thoughts?...seems all wacked ?.....rechecked outlet voltage....had the rheostat at 10...outlet v adjusts down to normal..120vac at speed
        Last edited by bdmech; 09-18-2017, 04:02 PM.

Comment

Those voltages don't sound out of line to me; perhaps someone with more welder experience would disagree but I'm thinking the stator is OK unless it can't deliver current at that voltage. If you have that much voltage at the stator and far less at the CC weld terminals, there is a bad connection or switch contact somewhere in the machine. Next thing I would do is put the meter leads on the output terminals, measure the voltage, and then work backwards through the wires and switches with one of the meter leads until you find full stator voltage. If you don't find it, put the lead you've been moving back on the output terminal and trace back the other path using the other lead.Welder on AC mode, and I would guess range switch on highest setting. Gotta be losing it somewhere in there, it seems. And, my usual safety concerns....Use caution. Lots of juice in there. No rings or watches, one hand in your pocket at all times. Never give those electrons a chance at a path through your one and only beating heart!
          Last edited by Aeronca41; 09-18-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

ok I guess that's good news about the stators...will start trying to find the drop...and thanks for the safety concern and I am always careful around this stuff...will post results if I find them....I mean WHEN I find them....thanks again

Comment

ok...so i'll make a welder mechanic out of me yet....update....checked for v at the 30 wire out of the polarity switch and nothin......switch connects 30 to 10...v at 10.....voltage stopping between 10 and 30....the polarity switch is not making the connection from terminals 10 to 11 and thus no voltage at wire 30...ordered a switch so that should cure the problem..since the open is in the 10 wire terminal it kills all output from the switch no matter what position its in...I feel a bit like a dip#$it for not checking before but that's life...haha....my excuse?..no ac electrics on cars...ha...so I got a lesson in ac power and learned a bunch about these machines...and took notes of what v is where for future ref....will post a final when it strikes an arc in a few days....peace

Comment

Great troubleshooting! Glad you found it. Here's hoping that's the last problem!

Comment

I think you found it...ha..thanks

Comment

Waiting for the final test! :-)

Comment

hey there...sorry I took so long to get back here....final result...replaced the mode selector switch and the machine is perfecto....thanks again

Comment

Super!!!

Comment

Thank you for coming back and sharing the final resolution!

Comment

Working...
                          X