Newbie, old man, 135 gun question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie, old man, 135 gun question

I received an old Millermatic 135 with a TGX Trigaskiss gun on it. The welding shop I took it to cut the end of the sleeve and sold me new consumables.
    but the welder doesn't adjust voltage and burns hot on under a 2 setting with .013 tubing. Running .035 flux core, it also has tripped the dedicated 20 amp breaker, plugged straight into outlet no cord.
    HELP PLEASE with any advice. Could it be the gun shorting out??
    Thanks,
    Revans

Welcome! Please post your serial number. Is it the 115 or 230 volt model? I assume it's 115 volt? What sleeve did they cut?

I've never tried it, but welding .013 tubing with flux core sounds like a bit of a challenge to me.

Comment

Running a 115v machine hot enough to burn
      .035 wire will probably trip most any 20amp breaker at some point. Just because it's a 115v machine doesn't mean that 20amps will be enough. My 115v mig draws 26amps at its max.

Comment

Sorry, it's 13 gauge. Not .013
        Yes it's the 115v.
        Maybe I'll have to run a new 30 amp breaker.
        I actually took it in to have it checked out at the Miller approved shop in Vegas.
        The sleeve is what he cut a 1/2" off of.
        No measuring just cut it.
        I don't want to put a lot of money into the machine, I will save and get a 141, if it is going to cost too much to repair.
        When I dropped it off the mechanic said it could be the drive motor???
        Any thoughts???

Comment

He cut 1/2" off the gun liner maybe?

You can run a 30amp breaker, but you'll also need 10ga wire. Don't do it unless you can upgrade the wire for 30amps as well.

Comment

As you can tell I def am new.
            You are correct ryanjones2150 it was the liner.
            And I can run the new wire for the 30amp breaker no problem.
            Just waiting to hear from the mechanic where I dropped off the welder to see if I'm gonna put the money into repairs.
            Thanks for the responses.

Comment

Hopefully it's a simple and affordable fix.

Comment

The Mechanic said drive motor and a new gun. Did voltage tests on the drive motor via troubleshooting info on forums and the motor actually seemed fine. Bought a new OEM gun and borrowed a tank and regulator. running .030 and it works great. The gun must have been the issue.
                Absolutely love welding, even as ugly as mine look at this time. It can only get better from here.

Comment

Fantastic! Thanks for the update. Glad it was a pretty simple fix. Have you seen Jody's welding videos at weldingtipsandtricks.com? He will help you learn quickly. And while you're there check his "Amazin' Blaze" link. The guy is great.

Comment

Before you know it, you'll be welding everything from broken hearts to the crack of dawn.

Comment

Working...
                    X