No announcement yet.

Newbie - tips on sheet metal repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this is an old thread, but I've seen "old timers" use O/A combined with wooden paddles/leading and the results are most professional, bulletproof, plus you don't have bondo all over the place.
    ESAB TIG 252 with Miller CoolMate
    Spectrum 875
    Diversion 180
    Oxy-A (Harris, ESAB, Ox Weld)
    Miller 252
    MM 211
    CST 280
    Trailblazer - Kubota

http://www.blackdiamondblooms.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Crepe Myrtle Farmer View Post
      I know this is an old thread, but I've seen "old timers" use O/A combined with wooden paddles/leading and the results are most professional, bulletproof, plus you don't have bondo all over the place.
      Yes--I've done that. Used tinning butter, lead, and a carburizing flame. Took me a LONG time to get it right-it was about a 3" ding in the middle of the hood of my old Dodge Dart. Expected bondo would come loose from opening/closing the hood since I planned to keep it a long time. Had to be very judicious with the heat to prevent warping. Worked out great and was just like new when I finally sold the car years later. I think I still have the wooden paddle I made around the garage somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by Aeronca41 View Post

Yes--I've done that. Used tinning butter, lead, and a carburizing flame. Took me a LONG time to get it right-it was about a 3" ding in the middle of the hood of my old Dodge Dart. Expected bondo would come loose from opening/closing the hood since I planned to keep it a long time. Had to be very judicious with the heat to prevent warping. Worked out great and was just like new when I finally sold the car years later. I think I still have the wooden paddle I made around the garage somewhere.
        I have a couple of old pick em up trucks sitting out in the field (restoration candidates) --- the metal is so thick on those oldies it only gets light surface rust. Plan on taking a class in leading to learn the nuances -- seems like the absolute best way to go on a restoration.
        Spectrum 875
        Diversion 180
        Miller 252
        MM 211
        CST 280
        Trailblazer - Kubota

Comment

Leading requires tinning acid, keep it out of any seams. It is junk in my opinion, and that's 40 years in the auto body business. It detaches, cracks, and causes huge rust problems in seams.

Comment

Originally posted by shootist2 View Post
            Leading requires tinning acid, keep it out of any seams. It is junk in my opinion, and that's 40 years in the auto body business. It detaches, cracks, and causes huge rust problems in seams.
            Now that's an interesting comment since plastics / bondo were only introduced in the mid 1950's -- EVERY car built before that (and there are millions still out there) used the leading process to assemble cars.
            Spectrum 875
            Diversion 180
            Miller 252
            MM 211
            CST 280
            Trailblazer - Kubota

Comment

Hello I am interested in this article, about tinning and leading. I found a video at Utube by Mr.TIG, whose videos are always my favorite. Is this the way and work you are talking about here;
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0X6E5HuOd4
              Incidentally I am now learning alu and mag welding with TIG, but as far bigger gauges of steel sheets I prefer Oxy-Acetylene gas welding.
              Thanks,
              Chy
              Oxy-A (Koike, Sakaguchi)
              HITACHI Inverter Pair 300GP(AC/DC TIG)

Comment

Yes. That's the process. And that particular application is a good example.

Comment

Yes. That's the process. And that particular application is a good example.
                  Thank you!
                  Oxy-A (Koike, Sakaguchi)

Comment

Signed up for Gene Winfield's class -- one of the legends.
                    Spectrum 875
                    Diversion 180
                    Miller 252
                    MM 211
                    CST 280
                    Trailblazer - Kubota

Comment

Originally posted by Crepe Myrtle Farmer View Post
                      Signed up for Gene Winfield's class -- one of the legends.
                      Thanks, very attractive and informative!!
                      Oxy-A (Koike, Sakaguchi)

Comment

Working...
                      X