Welding AR400 Steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding AR400 Steel

Have any of you guys welded AR400 steel? I'm looking for general procedure, things like preheat, interpass temps, and so forth. ANy help is greatly appreciated!
    Chris

Use 7018, light preheat, slow cool don't restrict weldment' don't get too hot
    Jeff

Comment

When rebuilding buckets I usually use AR-235 because you dont have to preheat, However I bought AR-235 for one of my jobs, it was a drop.
      I'm sure I got a pc of AR-400 because it cracked, so I gouged it out preheated and rewelded it and had no problem after preheat.
      I used ER-70-S6 to weld it.
      I did not use a heat stick so I dont know how hot I heated it, if I were to guess I would say between 300-500 degrees.
      It didd'nt take alot of time for it to crack after we were done welding it, one long 36" crack.

Comment

cris
        I USE INNERSHIELD NR-212/.068DIA
        RUNNING MY WIREFEEDER DCEN/CV
        WEARBARS I DONT PREHEAT
        FRONTCUTTERS/SHANKS/BUCKET LIPS 200/300F.PREHEAT
        BB402D
        TB300D
        DIMENSION652
        MM250X
        MAXSTAR140
        S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
        HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

Hey guys,
          I've had to build alot of aggergate discharge shoots over the last 20 or so years and most of them were built from either AR 400 or AR 500. I remember when I built the first one it toe nailed like a son of a gun. Man was I ever embarrassed. I had an old timer come up to me and say if your lucky one of the redimix trucks may hit it and tear it off so no one will see that sh*^ job you did. Well me and that old timer got to be friends and he told me if I would have preheated the plate some it would not have cracked as much... He was right. The next time that I built one he helped me and the shoot came out great. I asked him how hot to make it he just said if you can touch it and it doesn't hurt like **** it isn't hot enough. I would guess a least 500deg.f. Now a days we'll just tack it all up into position and hit it with a rosebud and weld away. (7018 1/8" for 1/2" plate)
          Good Luck,
          Bulldog
          5 Passport Pluses
          2 MM 212's
          MM 210
          MM 251 MIA
          MM 350 P w/Python
          Syncrowave 250
          w/ tig runner
          Trailblazer 302
          12RC w/meters
          Spectrum 1000