Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What thickness or gauge is standard automotive sheetmetal

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What thickness or gauge is standard automotive sheetmetal

What thickness or gauge is standard automotive sheetmetal on American vehicles, such as a door skin or fender skin. I'm practicing up on my Mig and am trying to determine settings, using ER70-6S and C25. The tables in my texts and on the machine reference gauge. Thanks for any info.

age ??

it depends on the age mostly and some on the type.

the newer cars will go 20 to 22 gage you might find it a bit thicker in a truck and my old 51 GMC 3/4ton is 16-18. seems like 14 gage

Comment

Be aware that this metal will not likely be ordinary mild steel.

Comment

The vehicle I'm planning to work on is a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I'm trying to do the work myself or myself with a few friends as a learning experience and to try to save some $. It's not my primary vehicle, so I'll take my time and see what happens. I am going to practice my welding on some scrap before I weld on the vehicle. I also bought a new Oxy/Acetylene kit today.

Comment

Originally posted by INTP
          Be aware that this metal will not likely be ordinary mild steel.
          What would it be most likely?

Comment

Originally posted by dcsound
            What would it be most likely?
            carbon steel, or a similar alloy. In the case of many gm vehicles it is also zinc washed

Comment

Then maybe I should be using a different mig wire and gas combination?

Comment

DC, for patch panels at the college autobody we use 18 ga. mostly but at times will use discarded hoods/fenders for patches, for your Jeep I'd use 18 ga. and we use .023 and C25 for all. Remember to clean w/wax and grease remover before ya start or grinding at the patch area has a possibility of contaminating w/silicons, and your paint will not like it.
                Good luck
                L*S

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.