Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

TIG filler wire size?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TIG filler wire size?

Is there a rule of thumb when selecting the size of filler wire to use. Lets say I'm Tig welding 2'' sch.40 carbon pipe, it's about 1/4'' thick. What determines the size of the filler wire. 1/8'' wire or 3/32'' wire? Is it the root gap?

I don't know what the rule of thumb is for filler size selection, but here's what I've gathered from both the Miller and Lincoln TIG calculators. Looks like it is ball park figure of 1/2 the material thickness. Filler size recommendation was the same for butt, lap, corner, and fillet welds, only amperage changed depending on the weld.

1/16" material = .045" or 1/16" filler
    3/32"" material = 1/16" or 3/32" filler
    1/8" material = 1/16" or 3/32" filler
    3/16" material = 1/8" filler
    1/4" material = 3/32" filler
    1/2" material = 1/4" filler

These were for steel. Aluminum would use the larger of the two recommendations.

BTW, the Lincoln calculator offered the smaller size filler material. I don't know why they recommended smaller.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Al rod size.

When tigging aluminum I like to use a filler rod one size bigger than the material at a minimum.

Comment

check this

THANKS! But... I noticed NORHERNLIGHTS indicated 3/16'' material requires 1/8'' filler wire and 1/4'' material use 3/32'' filler wire. Is this correct, use the smaller filler wire for the thicker material being welded? I would think just the opposite.

Comment

As a rule, don't use a filler larger than your base metal size. You would have to expend too much heat to melt the filler and would be too close to burning through the base metal. For your 1/16 use 040-1/16, 1/8" material likes 3/32 filler unless it's a large fillet then use the 1/8 but I think it's overkill. For your 1/4 wall sh40 I'd use 3/32 on the root and 1/8 fill or just use the 3/32 all the way.

Hope this helps.

Andy in Denver

Comment

Originally posted by Eicon
            THANKS! But... I noticed NORHERNLIGHTS indicated 3/16'' material requires 1/8'' filler wire and 1/4'' material use 3/32'' filler wire. Is this correct, use the smaller filler wire for the thicker material being welded? I would think just the opposite.
            I doubled checked the calculators and found that the Lincoln calculator did recommend 3/32" for 1/4" material. I made a mistake from the Miller calculator, they recommend 3/16" on 1/4". The calculators are great tools for finding a starting point, but individual preference and application may vary.

Comment

Working...
            X
            Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.