Thawing Pipes??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thawing Pipes??

In the "Jumpstart" thread timw brought up thawing pipes with a welder....

"On a related note, I bought a Sears 180amp buzz box welder in 1965. (I still have it) The instructions tell you how to thaw frozen water pipes with it. I think it said do it in 10' sections and listed duty cycle to go on and off." (timw)

this is something that I have never tried... any thoughts??
    just curious..
    Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Kinda early for frozen pipes. LOL. Anyway I worked on a farm where my dads weld shop was. Every Jan-Feb when it was super cold the water froze in the barn 200' from the house. We hooked up his red welder AC/DC 250 with one end in the house on the pipe and the other lead on the spigot in the barn. (I don't remember which end went where but I will find out later today). Crank it up and let it churn for about a half an hour, steam comes out of the spigot first then the water. He used to have a portable and do the same thing for farmers. Worked every time. Then I would unhook the lead swap on the welding leads and go to work. We left the spare set running to the barn..Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Heiti,

Don't get frozen pipes, but wonder if it would work on my crawfish cooker. Be quicker than propane I bet!!!

moe1942

Comment

H80N

I too have a Sears 180 amp buz box, 1965 vintage (Colormatic welder) Bought it new on Long Island for exacly that reason. Neighbor told me he had just sold his welder or he could help me thaw the frozen pipes in my garage. Well needless to say 30 minuits later I was the proud owner of a new welder. Oh yes It worked just fine.
        Harold
        Craftsman Colormatic AC
        Victor Journyman Setup
        Syncrowave 180 SD
        MM210 With Spoolgun
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Spectrum 625 Plasma Cutter
        Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

forgot picture

here is the picture
          Attached Files
          Harold
          Craftsman Colormatic AC
          Victor Journyman Setup
          Syncrowave 180 SD
          MM210 With Spoolgun
          Dynasty 200 DX
          Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

picture

correct orientation
            Attached Files
            Harold
            Craftsman Colormatic AC
            Victor Journyman Setup
            Syncrowave 180 SD
            MM210 With Spoolgun
            Dynasty 200 DX
            Miller HD Tape Measure

Comment

The ULITMATE Thawing Machine

When I was at the Miller Expo in Atlanta they had a fantastic display and demo of all their engine drives from the Bluestar 140 to the Big Blue Air Pak. One of the Miller representatives was telling me a guy in Wisconsin bought a Big Blue Air Pak for the purpose of thawing and blowing out the frozen pipes. That is a 20,000 machine with all the frills. I guess you could get it around 17,000 for real. Anyway, the guy who bought it paid for it in less than one winter of pipe thawing. He was not even a real welder other than a bit of rod burning. Food for thought!

Comment

Here's a picture of the Buzz Box, I bought it in 1965 from Sears for $88.00 with the hood and leads. I worked all summer for the money. I have built quit a lot of things with it including about 20 trailers and 2 Off Road Dune Buggies. Now I have a MM 210 and a Dialarc 250 AC/DC so it dosen't get much use. From the "I never throw anything away department" I found the instructions that came with it on how to thaw pipes. Now if I can get them from my scanner to computer I will post them.
                Attached Files

Comment

Hawk:
                  WOW that is impressive, was that in comercial accounts or going door to door.

WOW that is impressive,

Comment

Just to add my 2 cents...I have thawed water pipes yrs ago,but wont try it today.On my own stuff yes,but for others (nope).what you need to know is that thawing with a welder is a direct short on the welder and for your protection you need to potect the welder...Lincoln is the only manufacture that i know that makes a LINC THAW unit that hooks in line with your welder with a Fuse..Remember Electricity takes the least path of resistance to go to ground..So If your hooked to one end of the copper pipe and to the other end that might have a plastic fitting going off in another direction the plastic will get hot and possible fire..If by chance your thawing inside a city,it might bleed back into the main water line and get the neighbors house.Lincoln has info on proper thawing and the protective unit if you would care to give it a try...but be very careful before attempting....
                    Trailblazer 250G
                    Bobcat 225
                    Miller 150 STL
                    Lincoln SA-200
                    Miller XMT 304
                    Lincoln Squarewave 355
                    Lincoln 140C
                    Lincoln 170T
                    Miller S-22A feeder
                    Miller 30A Spoolgun
                    Miller XR-15
                    Lincoln LN-25's
                    Hypetherm 380
                    Trailblazer 302
                    Spectrum 875
                    Just to mention a few

Comment

Welder99:
                      Bingo, Last week we had a storm come through my tree took out 3 sets of power lines, one house's wheather head skinned the wires and shorted to ground- through the water lines of the house {improperly grounded circuit panel**. This short burned through the water supply line and we had a small geiser in the street and nearly electricuted a city waterworks employee. This is amazing how A+B=big danger!!!!

Thanks welder99,

Comment

plastic pipes

new houses now are using plastic (flexible pvc)pipes they are rated to 300- 500 degrese not shoure exactly (i was carpenter not plumer)but without knowing whats behind the drywall you could have a problem. i know some of the electric guys didnt like them as they couldnt use the pluming as a ground.just something to think about b4 you thaw.my place is old so i will definetly like to se the how to guide as mine froze 3 times last winter wish i had known the welder trick i would have bought 1 then 4 shouer.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

When you were using small buzz boxes to thaw piping in residential settings the dangers were minimized due to the low currents involved. With large machines, and as piping gets older, especially screwed steel pipe there is inherient risk of developing a high resistance joint, and where city wated hooks together along with several electric services on the same transformer electric currents may be carried via electric to water bond connections. Its easy to overheat a number 6 ground wire in the neighbors home somewhere with a 300A machine. I disconnect the bond wire at the plumbing and if possible due to having valves often just break the plumbing connection to insure there are not multiple current paths. In rural settings where there was often only one service to a transformer and water wells this want much of a problem,, although it could be with subfed electric panels bonded to the same water system.

Comment

Guys
                            it looks like at best this idea should be approached with much caution AND from the best that I can determine Lincoln may have discontinued their LINK-THAW unit... and pretty much expunged the word Thaw from all of their literature (searched their website)... and from internet searches all I can find are cautions against this practice.. with plenty of examples of fires starting in inaccessable areas..etc..etc...there is one line of commercial pipe thawing units out there.. and if my math is correct they output approx 3volts at 320 and 400amps... here is a link...

http://www.drainbrain.com/specialties/spechsframe.html

I think this is a practice that I personally will avoid... the risks and liabilities just seem to be too great........
                            Thanks for all of the very interesting and informative responses...
                            Heiti

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                            Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

We have taken a similar stand on thawing. We used to have a pamphlet on the proceedure but after a few safety issues came up we don't promote it anymore.

The funniest story I heard was a guy thawing pipe at a farm but unknown to him, that same pipe broke the winter before and was spliced with a plastic coupler. The guy started to thaw but the current didn't go through the frozen section, it went to the barn and layed out 4 cows that were drinking at the time.

The same guy fried all the wire from a barn to the house. There are more stories from this guy that left us about to die from laughter. (he was my boss for 4 1/2 years)

Needless to say he gave it up.

Andy

Comment

Working...
                              X