Trailblazer 325 questions and need feedback

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sjohn View Post
    no I don't think iam over thinking this. I know I will have a warranty. I just like to know what it will cost (about) when the warranty is up. This way I know what iam getting into. best to know then not know at all

I guess I don't like not knowing, maybe its just me I am the type of person if I don't know..i will find an answer. being that way can be good and bad...lol

If you really want to worry about the welder dont forget about the engine portion of the welder. If this is a welder to be used daily after 3 years its going to be time for a new one. The life of the typical kohler is 2000-3000 hrs. Yes they can last longer but from what i see heres what happens...gets run low on oil...throws rod. Key breaks in flywheel(normally from magnets breaking off flywheel jammming into stator) ruins crank, rings wear out causing units to foul plugs, blows head gasket, wiring inside engine fails..
    Now i only have a fleet of these 23-25 hp kohlers all driving water pumps and have worked on these commands since they were introduced. I believe kohler build a quality engine, but its a throw away once worn out.(yes they are rebuildable if your labor cost is free).
    My point is the same. The welder has a 3 year warranty, stop worring about the what ifs, do your maintance, and go to work. If the welder is used right it will provide ample income to replace itself when the time comes.
    Kevin
    Lincoln ranger 305g x2
    Ln25
    Miller spectrum 625
    Miller 30a spoolgun
    Wc115a
    Lincoln 210mp
    F550 imt service truck

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
      If you really want to worry about the welder dont forget about the engine portion of the welder. If this is a welder to be used daily after 3 years its going to be time for a new one. The life of the typical kohler is 2000-3000 hrs. Yes they can last longer but from what i see heres what happens...gets run low on oil...throws rod. Key breaks in flywheel(normally from magnets breaking off flywheel jammming into stator) ruins crank, rings wear out causing units to foul plugs, blows head gasket, wiring inside engine fails..
      Now i only have a fleet of these 23-25 hp kohlers all driving water pumps and have worked on these commands since they were introduced. I believe kohler build a quality engine, but its a throw away once worn out.(yes they are rebuildable if your labor cost is free).
      My point is the same. The welder has a 3 year warranty, stop worring about the what ifs, do your maintance, and go to work. If the welder is used right it will provide ample income to replace itself when the time comes.
      Kevin
      I already know about the engine and I have a plan for that lucky I have a friend that rebuilds engines so i' am not worry about that as much as the electronics but understand what you are saying, like I said before its just nice knowing the ifs

Comment

Kill a watt

with a frequency meter like this one:

http://www.menards.com/main/electric...714-c-6452.htm

one of buttons is hz..so just plug into outlet and press the hz button I run one on my generators now to make sure its right
        sjohn;
        Well I ordered the KILL A WATT monitor & come to find my Lincoln Ranger has been running at 70.5 Hz. not 62.5 Hz. for the last 3 years !

Well I corrected it today , it's now at 62.5 Hz.. , so I'll have to see if I find any difference in performance. It's for sure a lower RPM. now !

Also at idle it's now at 38 Hz. , well time will tell, I guess .

Norm
        Last edited by nfinch86; 03-05-2015, 04:07 PM.
        www.normsmobilewelding.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
          with a frequency meter like this one:

http://www.menards.com/main/electric...714-c-6452.htm

one of buttons is hz..so just plug into outlet and press the hz button I run one on my generators now to make sure its right
          sjohn;
          Well I ordered the KILL A WATT monitor & come to find my Lincoln Ranger has been running at 70.5 Kw. not 62.5 Kw. for the last 3 years !

Well I corrected it today , it's now at 62.5 Kw. , so I'll have to see if I find any difference in performance. It's for sure a lower RPM. now !

Also at idle it's now at 38 Kw. , well time will tell, I guess .

Norm
          kW is a measurement of energy, not frequency. You probably are reading in hz.

Comment

Hz !!!!!!!!!!

Sorry, My Bad .

I mean Hz. has been reset to the correct frequency - 62.5 Hz....... Lol .
            The above post has been corrected !

Norm
            Last edited by nfinch86; 03-05-2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

120 volts ?

Originally posted by nfinch86 View Post
              Sorry, My Bad .

I mean Hz. has been reset to the correct frequency - 62.5 Hz....... Lol .
              The above post has been corrected !

Norm
              One thing I noticed since adjusting the Hz. to 62.5 , is that I just checked the AC. output and now it's just putting out 108 volts @ the receptacles Not 120 volts .

Any concern for worry, will 108 volts cause problems running my tools ?

Norm

Comment

Won't affect much though the likes of a 305 g is running 118 - 125 vac at 62.5 hz, yours could also be a dirty slip ring issue

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                  Won't affect much though the likes of a 305 g is running 118 - 125 vac at 62.5 hz, yours could also be a dirty slip ring issue
                  Thanks Cruizer;
                  What's the best way to correct that ?

Norm

Comment

Remove your covers to get access to the 2 sliprings. If they are really black or any colour but kinda brassy, then spray them down with brake clean and with a fine Emory also soaked in brake clean, start the engine up and with the Emory swish back and forth till the rings are a bright brass

Comment

On a Ranger 8 voltage changes with the fine output setting

Byron

Comment

Remove your covers to get access to the 2 sliprings. If they are really black or any colour but kinda brassy, then spray them down with brake clean and with a fine Emory also soaked in brake clean, start the engine up and with the Emory swish back and forth till the rings are a bright brass
                        Thanks Cruizer;

I'll do that in the morning !

Norm

Comment

But BJ is right fine control does adjust the aux on a R8. I rarely see one, so going off my brain doesn't help sometimes.

Comment

hello

well sorry I didn't get back to ya'll anyways i'am trying to make a deal for a used Miller trailblazer 302 welder with 181 hours on it NO cables with unit.

So I will see how this goes! from what the sellers saids oil,filter,spark plugs been change. however the hz have never been checked.

So will see what happens there

Comment

ohh I forgot to add its a 2013-2014 model only thing wrong he saids small dent in the back..otherwise runs and welds good

Comment

Fine Control

But BJ is right fine control does adjust the aux on a R8. I rarely see one, so going off my brain doesn't help sometimes.
                                Yep, That's what it was cruiser, I put the fine control up to 10.
                                Now my vac. output is running at 124vac. !

In the Spring I'll take the cover off & clean the slip rings.

Yep, you don't see a lot of them around any more. I bought it three yrs. ago ( it's a 1995 ) with only 55 hrs. on it . The guy had it sitting in a cargo container as a backup generator.

Thanks guys;
                                Norm
                                Last edited by nfinch86; 03-10-2015, 04:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X