Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will a DuroMax XP10000E generator run my shopmaster 300??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will a DuroMax XP10000E generator run my shopmaster 300??

So I bought a shopmaster 300 only to come home and find out I don't have the power at my house to run it. I've been doing a lot of research, and people have said they have ran thier shopmaster 300 on a 40-50 amp breaker with no problems. This generator says it will run 50 amps
    so I should be fine right? Just want some opinions from more experienced people before I go blow 1k for a generator that doesn't work. Here's the specs on the generator.

Outlets On Power Panel

(2) 120v 20 Amp 3-Prong Outlets (Standard Household plug).
    (1) 120v 30 Amp Twist Lock (NEMA L5-30 2 Pole 3 Wire).
    (1) 120v/240v 30 Amp Twist Lock (NEMA L14-30 3 Pole 4 Wire).
    (1) 120v/240v 50 Amp Heavy Duty Outlet (NEMA 14-50 3 Pole 4 Wire).
    (1) 10A 12V utility connection for charging a battery or running 12V devices.
    Technical Specifications

Current (120V/240VAC) & (12VDC).
    Amps: 66.5A/33.3A.
    Decibel: 72 dBA with idle control off, measured from 7 meters.
    Decibel: 45 dBA with idle control on, measured from 7 meters.
    Dimensions Without Wheel Kit: 27" L x 21" W x 22" H.
    Dimensions W/ Wheel Kit: 40" L X 29" W X 27.5" H.
    Weight: 265 lbs.
    Last edited by taylor.palmer1; 08-13-2014, 06:49 AM.

Should be fine, however, unless your renting, it might be best to spend that $grand on taking 50 amps off your 100 amp house circuit and run it out to your garage. None of your neighbors want to hear the howl off that genset I'll bet.

Comment

10,000 watts don't get you 50amps

And I imagine it is really an 8,000 watt continuous power rating so yer lookin at a real world 33amps @240v which is what the specs state.

It has a 50amp RATED Receptacle
      Last edited by Broccoli1; 08-13-2014, 05:35 PM.
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

sell it by an xmt304 or a trailblazer

Originally posted by taylor.palmer1 View Post
        So I bought a shopmaster 300 only to come home and find out I don't have the power at my house to run it. I've been doing a lot of research, and people have said they have ran thier shopmaster 300 on a 40-50 amp breaker with no problems. This generator says it will run 50 amps
        so I should be fine right? Just want some opinions from more experienced people before I go blow 1k for a generator that doesn't work. Here's the specs on the generator.

Outlets On Power Panel

(2) 120v 20 Amp 3-Prong Outlets (Standard Household plug).
        (1) 120v 30 Amp Twist Lock (NEMA L5-30 2 Pole 3 Wire).
        (1) 120v/240v 30 Amp Twist Lock (NEMA L14-30 3 Pole 4 Wire).
        (1) 120v/240v 50 Amp Heavy Duty Outlet (NEMA 14-50 3 Pole 4 Wire).
        (1) 10A 12V utility connection for charging a battery or running 12V devices.
        Technical Specifications

Current (120V/240VAC) & (12VDC).
        Amps: 66.5A/33.3A.
        Decibel: 72 dBA with idle control off, measured from 7 meters.
        Decibel: 45 dBA with idle control on, measured from 7 meters.
        Dimensions Without Wheel Kit: 27" L x 21" W x 22" H.
        Dimensions W/ Wheel Kit: 40" L X 29" W X 27.5" H.
        Weight: 265 lbs.
        Seems like a poor solution to a probelm which a xmt would fix. Keep in mind that if you crank that shopmaster up it will pull over 90amps from the wall. Buy a xmt304 same power output, bettar arc, half the power needed, or buy a trailblazer with a feeder.
        Kevin
        Lincoln ranger 305g x2
        Ln25
        Miller spectrum 625
        Miller 30a spoolgun
        Wc115a
        Lincoln 210mp
        F550 imt service truck

Comment

OH yeah, stated plain as day 33.3 amps, again not reading well apparently, so nope, barely start that shopmaster.

Comment

OK that makes sense. 33 amps with a 50 amp plug still only provides 33 amps.

I'm in a rental house and my landlord won't permit any electrical work, even by a licensed electrician. I would much rather go that route but since that's not an option,
            I found an old diesel powered stick welder/generator on Craigslist, the welder doesn't work but the generator does, and it has plenty of juice to power my shopmaster.
            I would imagine it would just be a matter of removing the wires from the old Welder and hard wiring my shopmaster into the generator, or would it be more complicated than that? Does anyone have experience doing this? Thanks for the help I'm kinda a noob when it comes to electrical stuff

Comment

what model of old welder?

Comment

It's an old miller diesel powered arc welder. Here's the Craigslist ad

Miller Diesel Stick Welder - $400
                http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/4610890458.html

via cPro Craigslist App
                Android: http://bit.ly/CL_android
                iOS: http://bit.ly/CL_iOS
                Last edited by taylor.palmer1; 08-14-2014, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by taylor.palmer1 View Post
                  It's an old miller diesel powered arc welder. Here's the Craigslist ad

Miller Diesel Stick Welder - $400
                  http://maine.craigslist.org/tls/4610890458.html

via cPro Craigslist App
                  Android: http://bit.ly/CL_android
                  iOS: http://bit.ly/CL_iOS
                  Looks like a "BIG D4"

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o452j_mil.pdf

With Only 3KVA of 120v..... probably NOT gonna make your shopmaster happy..
                  Last edited by H80N; 08-14-2014, 05:45 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                  Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Is there a 50 amp reseptacle in the house anywhere you could build a extension cord out of soo cord from electric supply house.

Comment

good luck...

Originally posted by Kpack View Post
                      Is there a 50 amp reseptacle in the house anywhere you could build a extension cord out of soo cord from electric supply house.
                      Most dryers are 30amp, some ovens are 50amps, but very few. This is the wrong welder. 50amps will barely feed a shopmaster. Sell it, buy an xmt. Or...find a place where the proper power is supplied, then watch the electrical meter spin like a propellar.
                      Kevin
                      Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                      Ln25
                      Miller spectrum 625
                      Miller 30a spoolgun
                      Wc115a
                      Lincoln 210mp
                      F550 imt service truck

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                        Most dryers are 30amp, some ovens are 50amps, but very few. This is the wrong welder. 50amps will barely feed a shopmaster. Sell it, buy an xmt. Or...find a place where the proper power is supplied, then watch the electrical meter spin like a propellar.
                        Kevin
                        If it pulls more than 50 amps I'm with you get another welder.

Comment

There's no 50 amp receptacle. There is a 30 amp for my dryer and I checked the breaker box and it's got two 30 amp breakers on it, but if I understand correctly, two 30 amp breakers still only supports 30 amps? I may try to run an extention cord to that and put my welder on the lowest settings to see if it will handle it

Comment

Originally posted by Tryagn5 View Post
                            Kevin
                            I'm starting to see why the shopmaster isn't as popular as I thought it should be.... Guess I'm on the hunt for a new welder

Comment

I just looking your manual its not good. Name:  175044cc6d90ae13c333d4c7fc138797.jpg
Views: 1
Size:  73.7 KB

Comment

Working...
                              X