Desparately needing help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WickedWillow View Post
    locating relevant material for him to familiarize himself is a task for me (with absolutely zero knowledge in the area). We are continuing our search and hope to find some assistance within the local school's shop teacher. Again, thank you all for such wonderful advice. :-)
    The welding universe is so much more than just burning stick with a buzzbox or engine drive...

Whichever path you take...

it is well worth your while to download the FREE PDF versions of the manuals that are available here

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...pamphlets.html

These contain the same material that is in their Student Pack...
    and is the same training material used by many community college and trade school programs..

But the printed version is $100....
    who knows.. after reviewing the PDF's you may want to purchase the printed version with the calculators and posters....

Miller Education Package - $100.00 - #211611
    "The Educational Instructors Package" - All-new Full-Color Books!
    • (5) Miller Reference Books
      • Topic 2: Welding Safety Book
      • Topic 3: Basic Electricity for Welding
      • Topic 6: Shielded Metal Arc Welding
      • Topic 7: Gas Tungsten Arc Welding
      • Topic 8: Gas Metal Arc WElding

• (6) Posters
      • Safety Warning
      • Good weld / Bad weld poster
      • Welding Careers
      • Welding Positions
      • Welding Joints
      • MIG Processes

• (3) Miller Calculators — Stick, MIG, and TIG

To order, call us at 866-931-9732.
    Shipping and handling charges are included in all prices.
    Most items will ship within 24 hours.

https://www.millerwelds.com/resources/tools/#training
    Last edited by H80N; 08-08-2014, 06:52 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
    Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
    Dynasty 200DX
    Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
    Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

I have 2 older text books you can have
      Welding Principles and Applications 3rd edition Jeffry Jeffus
      Welding Skills 2nd edition R.T. Miller

Send me an address
      Ed@screamingbroccoli.com
      Ed Conley
      http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
      MM252
      MM211
      Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
      TA185
      Miller 125c Plasma 120v
      O/A set
      SO 2020 Bender
      You can call me Bacchus

Comment

WickedWillow,

I wish you the best of luck with your son's endeavors.

Like many of the members here, I agree with the need for math skills.
        I might add (for a later time) blueprint reading skills.

As an aging baby boomer, I find I am caught in a mix of old-new technologies.

Computer skills are a must in today's world but "old world hands-on" know-how is still very important.

I have a friend from high school days (over 45 years ago) who is a master plumber
        and who still fixes my mistakes without saying much.

He doesn't have cable TV (by choice) and doesn't go on the Internet (no computer),
        yet he still makes more than me (retired engineer) and we have fun together.

I do some tig welding when he needs it so it works out well.

My point is that the latest technology may not help in a "real world" situation.
        Good old "hands-on" experience will never die.

I don't think if I have a clogged toilet that I can find a phone app to unclog it.

The Yellow Pages are not extinct.

Best of luck.

PS - I was born in Denver and grew up in Aurora before the folks moved to Phila.
        Best memory was when we had a thunderstorm in the summer when I was 4 and we took our rafts and floats out into the streets to play as the water was 2 feet deep in our street and everyone moved their cars onto their lawns.
        Miller Dynasty 350, Dynasty 210 DX, Hypertherm 1000, Thermal Arc GTSW400, Airco Heliwelder II, oxy-fuel setup, metal cutting bandsaw, air compressor, drill press, etc.

Call me the "Clouseau" of welding !

Comment

Originally posted by WickedWrenches View Post
          I believe the best way would be to just get a used welder and let him go to town on some scrap metal. He can read every book written about welding but until he actually puts hands on it and does it, its just fantasy land. Knowing in your head how to do it from reading books isn't the same as hands on experience. I thought I was the best welder in town after reading several "how to books" and online forums, then I got my first welder and found out I was sorely wrong.
          No truer words were ever spoken My friend

Comment

Desparately needing help

Aws has online course for welder inspectors but it broke down in subject like math safety metallurgy blueprint reading etc, aws.org

Comment

I taught at a local community college for 12 years before retirement. I can tell you the kids or at least 80% coming out of HS today do not have basic math skills we learned in grade school. A lot of them could not solve math problems... even using a calculator.

I just spent well over $2200 for a multi process welder, I doubt if she needs to spend that much money.

I would look at Home Depot wire welders. I purchased a Lincoln Weld Pak HD that runs on 120 volts and does not require gas. Its a DC out welder so it does a really good job with the Lincoln flux core wire they sell. The welder sells for about $230. Get a good welding hood, adjustable shade, automatic darkening, some scrap metal and let him learn. Any of the smaller 120 volt MIG or flux core welders used would work fine, except for anything from Harbor Freight.

Let him weld in an area that is free of anything that can burn.

Yes, sure its not stick welding nor is it TIG but most of those require 240 volt and some type of gas tank. Who knows he may weld one time and its not for him? I started welding at age 12 on the farm with a old junky Dayton stick welder and it was a pit to use. A lot older now, I like to weld and build things. Am I a pro welder, no still learning.
              Last edited by wmgeorge; 08-25-2014, 12:20 PM.
              Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
              Retired
              Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
              Master Electrician
              Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

Comment

Good luck with your plans. Some more online videos for him to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tq9870Tfc0U
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UP8hh0yQibM
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5mcTl0VrvWQ

Steve also has videos on Flux Core welding, Oxy-Acetylene welding and Oxy-Acetylene cutting.

Comment

Working...
                X