No announcement yet.

miller bobcat problem need help

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not compltely sure why but the Lincoln/Miller EFI Kohlers don't appear to like the 5 -40, They pur along nicely on the 15-50 though. Been using 15-40 diesel oil in all sorts of welder air cooled units for like 10 years in the summer and a 5-40 in the winter with zero problems, was also using 5-50 Ultimate untill they took the Zinc out (plugged up the Cat converters), Defy is good though.Zinc just keeps these engines somewhat cooler. Just a extreme pressure anti wear additive for these high reving engines,, not just for valves.. Been fixing these engines for just over 20years

Comment

Everybody has different thoughts on the matter. What we can agree on is that automotive oil will kill a aircooled engine, plain and simple Reason behind synthetic oil like DEFY especially for the winter, is both the zinc content and zero moisture to get into, freeze and lockup the hydraulic lifters.

Been to Kohler and Cummins
      Last edited by cruizer; 08-05-2014, 06:49 PM.

Comment

I have oh, about 2500 rig welders on my customer list, about 70 percent are running the aircooled. Zero engine crashes to 10K hrs over the past many, many years, thus not alot of work engine wise. I tell them what oil to run, and what filters.

Decarbonizing the heads is a waste of my time, especially at 1000 hrs. I used to see many from the rental outfits, but now with the oil choices stabilized, pretty much zero from them engine wise anymore.. Correct oil, correct full flow filters (NO Fram, Hastings, Wix, or even Kohler), and set to the correct RPM, very few generator problems. The rig welders generally bring the machines in for service and preventative maintainance.

Again, this is just me, I don't need the work, I don't advertise. Yet everyone knows me welder wise.
        Last edited by cruizer; 08-05-2014, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
          I have oh, about 2500 rig welders on my customer list, about 70 percent are running the aircooled. Zero engine crashes to 10K hrs over the past many, many years, thus not alot of work engine wise. I tell them what oil to run, and what filters.

Decarbonizing the heads is a waste of my time, especially at 1000 hrs. I used to see many from the rental outfits, but now with the oil choices stabilized, pretty much zero from them engine wise anymore.. Correct oil, correct full flow filters (NO Fram, Hastings, Wix, or even Kohler), and set to the correct RPM, very few generator problems. The rig welders generally bring the machines in for service and preventative maintainance.

Again, this is just me, I don't need the work, I don't advertise. Yet everyone knows me welder wise.
          If a onan is used ie...burning rods, with good quality fuel, is maintained, ie oil changed with correct brand, then yes at 1000hrs decarboning the head is a waste of time, HOWEVER, if the engine is more of a gen set, ie, not loaded and not maintained, it needs to be done. The amount of carbon i have seen on these engines is amazing, also if you dont remove the heads ever, once you need to half the bolts break, and are a complete pita to get out. Also when the heads are removed, relapping the valves should be done, 90 percent of the time a weak onan is simply a burnt, or leaking valve. Very rarely do the rings fail or break. I have worked on onans from chippers, welders, concrete saws, and various pto set ups. Been an equipment mechanic for 17 years, not trying to tell you how to maintain your equipmemt or customers, as you have clearly found a method which works. However i have found to approach most broken equipmemt as improperly serviced, and maintained. Unless i have a decent history on it.
          Kevin
          Lincoln ranger 305g x2
          Ln25
          Miller spectrum 625
          Miller 30a spoolgun
          Wc115a
          Lincoln 210mp
          F550 imt service truck

Comment

True enough, idling causes problems, my guys work the machines, they don't idle much. Perhaps there is the difference. If its a welder, I just load it a little past tolerance. Its amazing how much carbon blasts out of them, especially on the diesels. I like to do those at night. Fire and flaming chunks, kinda cool.

As for a carboned up gasser. STP carb cleaner in the tank and a minor load will remove the carbon pretty quick. I use this method on the SA200's when the winter heater hose is left on in the summer months. Carbons them up pretty bad.. If you mist the intake with water, that frees the carbon as well.

Comment

What filter is best for this machine.
              Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
              Millermatic 211
              Spoolmate 100
              (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
              Work better & less parts to stock.
              Miller 130xp
              T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
              Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
              2. 4-1/2" grinders
              1. 9" grinder
              14" Makita chop saw
              1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Comment

agreed..

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
                True enough, idling causes problems, my guys work the machines, they don't idle much. Perhaps there is the difference. If its a welder, I just load it a little past tolerance. Its amazing how much carbon blasts out of them, especially on the diesels. I like to do those at night. Fire and flaming chunks, kinda cool.

As for a carboned up gasser. STP carb cleaner in the tank and a minor load will remove the carbon pretty quick. I use this method on the SA200's when the winter heater hose is left on in the summer months. Carbons them up pretty bad.. If you mist the intake with water, that frees the carbon as well.
                My main reason for hating onans, is having to lap the valves, or replace them, because everytime i do it the **** head bolts break! Also all the shield bolts, very rarely do they come apart easily. I will say an onan can take much more abuse than a kohler, but a kohler is half the cost, and easier to fix. As for getting the carbon out, my main probelm has been carbon wedged in the seats, or making the valve stick. In illinois our fuel is terrible, summer blend, winter blend, lots of ethanol, and it has no shelf life.
                Kevin
                Lincoln ranger 305g x2
                Ln25
                Miller spectrum 625
                Miller 30a spoolgun
                Wc115a
                Lincoln 210mp
                F550 imt service truck

Comment

Originally posted by eecervantes83 View Post
                  What filter is best for this machine.
                  I use Lubrifiner, so same one fits Kohler, Perkins and Onan PH 2835

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer:322667
                    So get yourself a meter that reads HZ, stuff the probles into your 120 Vac terminals, loosen off the 13mm lock nut right side engine just above the valve cover and tighten the 8mm bolt untill the meter reads around the 62.5hz mark high idle no load.
                    I couldn't find the nut or bolt described . My machine is running a 61 to 61.5 hz is that enough to cause the breakers to pop?
                    I'm changing the oil and filter this weekend.

Could You give me a little more details on where to find the nut and bolt that need adjustment.
                    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
                    Millermatic 211
                    Spoolmate 100
                    Miller 130xp
                    2. 4-1/2" grinders
                    1. 9" grinder
                    14" Makita chop saw

Comment

Look under resources here on the miller site for your manual it tells how to set rpms or hz and has a picture.
                      Maybe some wires touching somewhere to pop the breakers.

Comment

ONAN engine adjuster over top the right valve cover.

Kohler gas, is also on the right side inbetween the right exhaust flange and right side head. It is a small bar with 2 3/8" nuts ( 1 lock and the other a gland) Engine must be adjusted warm, so its a little tricky no to get burned.

If its a Miller EFI, then forget about it, Lincolns adjust just like the gas versions, Millers have an encoder, not particularly adjustable
                        Last edited by cruizer; 08-07-2014, 03:18 PM. Reason: made a whoops....

Comment

Originally posted by eecervantes83 View Post
                          My machine is running a 61 to 61.5 hz is that enough to cause the breakers to pop?
                          I too recommend 62-62.5Hz no load frequency speed but no, yours is not low enough to cause the circuit breakers to trip.

A little more info is warranted.

What are you powering and how are you getting the power to it? An extension cord too long or too small in gauge will result in a low voltage condition at the powered device and high amperage condition at the power source that could be causing your breakers to trip.
                          MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
                          Syncrowave 180 SD
                          Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
                          *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
                          *HF-251D-1
                          *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
                          PakMaster 100XL
                          Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110
                          http://www.millerwelds.com/images/sm...rolleyes.png?2

Comment

I run a 7" Makita grinder of a heavy duty 10g extension cord at 50'. And my 50 ' welding lead . It did it again today.
                            It keep bogging down like it wanted to shut off but it would rev back up then again down and up. I had to shut the machine down a few minutes then it would run ok for a few minute then it happen again.
                            Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
                            Millermatic 211
                            Spoolmate 100
                            Miller 130xp
                            2. 4-1/2" grinders
                            1. 9" grinder
                            14" Makita chop saw

Comment

Use a 5" to give the machine some wiggle room

Comment

Problem is that, that grinder draws alot of power especially when you lean into it. If the engine is not set (warm) at the correct rpm, it'll drop below 60hz, and that inturn heats up the grinder, so more amps are drawn. Quickly your over the thresh hold. With a 5" you still have lots of power, and can lean into it all you want. Very few rig welders if any , use the 7"

Comment

Working...
                                X