Smooth welds??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smooth welds??

Have a Diversion 180. Using 1/16th 2% ceriated with argon set to 15cfh, 3/32 Er70s-2 filler rod at 75 amps. Doing practice lines on clean 16 gauge mild steel coupons . Im keeping a slow steady constant speed across the steel while welding and the welds are coming out smooth, no ripples in some sections. Even if i use stop and go or move forward then back a little in small increments it still stays smooth, Im holding the torch at 70 degrees as recommended and pushing the puddle, not dragging it...cant seem to get steady ripples, am I doing something wrong here?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0091.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	532805
    Last edited by WickedWrenches; 07-19-2014, 05:23 PM.

I'm sorry, I personally have no idea, but i'm willing to bet that the pros on here will want pics and I'd like to see as well.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0091.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	516694

Comment

Try to do some flat welds without using filler. When using filler use as little as possible.

Comment

I've never been able to run a bead with TIG without filler?? I can do a lap or corner weld without filler. It takes a lot of practice be become good at TIG welding and maybe years to be as good as the guys on here.
          Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
          Retired
          Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
          Master Electrician
          Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

Comment

Do a butt joint. Tac both ends and then add some small tacs. Depending on how long the piece is say 7" put tacs 1" apart. Then weld from one end to the other. This will help keep the piece from warping. Also don't overheat the piece stop and take a break.

Comment

I like to manually pulse the pedal while im feeding. Helps with wetting out and consistency.
              Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a foot peddle or hand control? Just because the machine is set for 75 amps doesn't mean you are at 75 amps unless the control is full on.

Try using thinner rods. 1/16 or even .035". This will allow you to use a little less heat & dab the rod into the leading edge of the puddle, don't just move it steady with the torch. I know everyone loves the look of stacked dimes it isn't always the best weld. Not saying it's bad, it's just that you can have a very good weld without it.
                MM250
                Trailblazer 250g
                22a feeder
                Lincoln ac/dc 225
                Victor O/A
                MM200 black face
                Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                Arco roto-phase model M
                Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                Miller spectrum 875
                30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                Syncrowave 250
                RCCS-14

Comment

Smooth welds??

Dabbing that filler or pulsing manually as previously posted should fix that prob. But smooth is always a bad thing.
                  Syncrowave 250
                  Millermatic 210
                  dialarc 250
                  spectrum 375x
                  trailblazer 302
                  Lincoln 135

Comment

Originally posted by strictlycarved View Post
                    Dabbing that filler or pulsing manually as previously posted should fix that prob. But smooth is always a bad thing.
                    I disagree with the smooth is always a bad thing comment. You can have a very good, structurally strong weld with it being smooth. Somewhere along the way the rumor got started that the only weld that's good is a stack of dimes.
                    MM250
                    Trailblazer 250g
                    22a feeder
                    Lincoln ac/dc 225
                    Victor O/A
                    MM200 black face
                    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
                    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
                    Arco roto-phase model M
                    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
                    Miller spectrum 875
                    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
                    Syncrowave 250
                    RCCS-14

Comment

HTML Code:
                       disagree with the smooth is always a bad thing comment. You can have a very good, structurally strong weld with it being smooth. Somewhere along the way the rumor got started that the only weld that's good is a stack of dimes.
                      +1

Comment

Why don't you go on the web and look up practical welding t.v. and watch some videos.

Comment

I'm no expert but your pic looks like you're moving too fast and not getting enough of the filler wire in the weld, i use a tapping motion when i TIG weld, tapping the wire into the heat while steadily moving forward and not just pushing the wire into it, I hope that makes sense and helps.

Comment

Smooth welds??

Research the notch affect & study as it relates to and affects the Strength of steel.
                            Personally I like a smoother weld. The only time I use stack of dime weld is on Alm. Where I want that look for appearance not strength.
                            Just my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by MMW View Post
                              Do you have a foot peddle or hand control? Just because the machine is set for 75 amps doesn't mean you are at 75 amps unless the control is full on.

Try using thinner rods. 1/16 or even .035". This will allow you to use a little less heat & dab the rod into the leading edge of the puddle, don't just move it steady with the torch. I know everyone loves the look of stacked dimes it isn't always the best weld. Not saying it's bad, it's just that you can have a very good weld without it.

Peddle control

Comment

Working...
                              X