Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bronze statue repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bronze statue repair

    I own a bronze statue of St George slaying a dragon. I believe it was inherited by my grandfather. When it was shipped to him the front legs of the horse were broken off at the knees. My question is, can it be repaired, and how. Some of the metal from the knees is missing and would have to be filled in.

    i am located in Ohio. Would need someone in driving distance who could do the repair.

  • #2
    Try to get a hold of aametalmaster. I believe he is in Ohio and maybe he can help you.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by JMK WELDING View Post
      Try to get a hold of aametalmaster. I believe he is in Ohio and maybe he can help you.
      I am in Salem right below Youngstown if that helps...Bob
      Bob Wright

      Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Printydm View Post
        I own a bronze statue of St George slaying a dragon. I believe it was inherited by my grandfather. When it was shipped to him the front legs of the horse were broken off at the knees. My question is, can it be repaired, and how. Some of the metal from the knees is missing and would have to be filled in.

        i am located in Ohio. Would need someone in driving distance who could do the repair.
        One challenge is the unknown material. If it was cast in silicon bronze, that is easy, but other alloys may or may not be easy to weld. Some may choose to solder instead.

        Best to have someone with experience repairing old statues. Even though I am a metal sculptor I would not be comfortable taking the job.

        Richard
        Syncrowave 200, Millermatic 211, Victor torch, Propane forge....

        Comment


        • #5
          I would start out with silicon bronze.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Portable Welder View Post
            I would start out with silicon bronze.
            I have 40 lbs of it on hand...Bob
            Bob Wright

            Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
            http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

            Comment


            • #7
              Bob the reason I said he should contact you is because I knew you were in Ohio. I've seen some of your pictures on the Miller website for projects way before the forum came about. Nice work. JOE

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JMK WELDING View Post
                Bob the reason I said he should contact you is because I knew you were in Ohio. I've seen some of your pictures on the Miller website for projects way before the forum came about. Nice work. JOE
                Thats fine. If i can help i am here...Bob
                Bob Wright

                Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

                Comment


                • #9
                  Just a suggestion but how about using a jewlers torch and Brownells hi-force-44-trade-solder. The piece can be airbrushed to make the repaired joints disappear.


                  http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...r-prod709.aspx

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tackit View Post
                    Just a suggestion but how about using a jewlers torch and Brownells hi-force-44-trade-solder. The piece can be airbrushed to make the repaired joints disappear.


                    http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...r-prod709.aspx
                    Find a Heating and Cooling wholesale house, $110 for a 1 lb roll is about 3x what we paid. Good stuff and very strong.
                    Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
                    Retired
                    Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
                    Master Electrician
                    Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by tackit View Post
                      Just a suggestion but how about using a jewlers torch and Brownells hi-force-44-trade-solder. The piece can be airbrushed to make the repaired joints disappear.
                      I would consider that a REALLY BAD choice

                      that solder is only 4% Silver and 94% Tin... very soft and a terrible color match

                      would be nearly impossible to match the Patination to the original bronze..

                      Also very likely to destroy the value of the sculpture...

                      Do yourself a favor and consult with BOB or somebody else that is familiar with bronze repair...

                      Another thought is that some of the fine art foundries also do repairs and repatination to a very high standard... worthy of the art that you own...

                      My opinion... others may disagree...
                      .

                      *******************************************
                      The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                      “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                      Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                      My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                      Millermatic 200

                      TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re-patination....now that's a process I can work on every day for the rest of my life.
                        Undetectable repair is key to word of mouth business growth on almost all cast welding IMO

                        www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

                        Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                        Miller WC-115-A
                        Miller Spectrum 300
                        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FusionKing View Post
                          Re-patination....now that's a process I can work on every day for the rest of my life.
                          Undetectable repair is key to word of mouth business growth on almost all cast welding IMO
                          AMEN...!!!

                          The chemistry and alchemy of the coloration of metals is one of those artforms that I have been working on with mixed success all of my life... I have true respect for those that can get it right...

                          one fact that many do not know is.... that these days... many large cast bronze sculptures are cast in multiple sections and are TIG welded into a single unit..
                          and then selectively heated and treated to a witches brew of metallic salts, acids and chemicals...
                          then.... burnished, waxed and romanced....to achieve just the right EVEN seamless coloration...

                          it is a real black art...

                          Here is a link to a whole bunch of videos on the subject...

                          http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...nze+patination
                          Last edited by H80N; 08-02-2014, 10:06 AM.
                          .

                          *******************************************
                          The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                          “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                          Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                          My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                          Millermatic 200

                          TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If you feel brave enough to attempt repatination of the repaired sections...

                            here is a place that has a bunch of formula recipes for patination..

                            http://www.sciencecompany.com/-W12C672.aspx
                            .

                            *******************************************
                            The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

                            “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

                            Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

                            My Blue Stuff:
                            Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                            Dynasty 200DX
                            Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                            Millermatic 200

                            TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X