No announcement yet.

smoking Dynasty 200 dx

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm really curiuous too, though the tech likely won't tell you, or even notice that it may be still wired wrong.

It will work wired incorrect, but will let the smoke out eventually in a short time frame. Most techs never look for the route cause of a failure.

Comment

Originally posted by cruizer View Post
      I'm really curiuous too, though the tech likely won't tell you, or even notice that it may be still wired wrong.

It will work wired incorrect, but will let the smoke out eventually in a short time frame. Most techs never look for the route cause of a failure.
      I am curious too...

that is why I was asking about the RED wire.....

you might consider opening up the plug and seeing how they wired it...
      Last edited by H80N; 07-17-2014, 03:57 PM.

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
      Dynasty 200DX
      Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
      Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Pretty hard to wire single phase 230 volt circuit. Two hot wires no polarity, and the green wire goes to frame ground. I'm sure Miller color coded the ground wire connection Green.

Of course maybe its 3 phase.
        Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
        Retired
        Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
        Master Electrician
        Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

Comment

Originally posted by wmgeorge View Post
          Pretty hard to wire single phase 230 volt circuit. Two hot wires no polarity, and the green wire goes to frame ground. I'm sure Miller color coded the ground wire connection Green.

Of course maybe its 3 phase.
          The RED wire could be the key....

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
          Dynasty 200DX
          Millermatic 200

Comment

It's just single phase. Why would it work fine for so many hours of welding if a switch was wired wrong?

Comment

You guys got me paranoid. What switch are you talking about? If I get a chance I will post pics of plug and switch if I know which switch I am looking for.

Comment

Here's my invoice for the repair.
                Attached Files

Comment

This is how you want your input plug wired...

illustration courtesy of BROC

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources/communities/mboard/showthread.php?20325-Brand-new-dynasty-200-dx-up-in-smoke&p=221892#post221892

Attached Files

My Blue Stuff:
                  Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                  Dynasty 200DX
                  Millermatic 200

Comment

Looks like the diagram except the red wire is snippet even with the sheathing. Can't touch anything else.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 1bughood View Post
                      looks like the diagram except the red wire is snippet even with the sheathing. Can't touch anything else.
                      Good..!!......

My Blue Stuff:
                      Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                      Dynasty 200DX
                      Millermatic 200

Comment

First its wired to a single phase plug, there is no place for the Red wire?? IF it was wired wrong it would have burnt up the minute (or so) after it was plugged in. Miller instructions are pretty clear on the single vs 3 phase connections.

Now if he was stupid like my neighbor and connected the Green wire to one of hot leads to his stove..... wonder why his wife was getting shocked when she touched the sink and stove at the same time???
                        Last edited by wmgeorge; 07-19-2014, 11:22 AM.
                        Miller MultiMate 200 MIG/ Stick/TIG
                        Retired
                        Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter
                        Master Electrician
                        Amateur Home shop Machinist & Welder

Comment

No it would work for a while just using differnt components of the input bridge, eventually though it would bake itself. Wouldn't think it would work at all, seen it many times....

Comment

Spent most of yesterday welding 1/4 to 1/8 aluminum. Probably 5 hours of weld time and no problems First time I've had to turn the Dynasty over 150 amps. Usually 1/8 is the thickest I weld.
                            Thanks everyone for the input.

Comment

Working...
                            X