Bad Idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bad Idea

Hello Gentlemen. I turned this job down because I felt it was a very bad idea because of the forces involved. It is a bracket on an over the cab camper in Alaska for mounting a 5 cubic foot freezer for fish and meat. I guessed he could probably put about 400 lbs of weight on the back of this thing. At first I thought I might do it but that thing hanging out there and our very rough roads made me cancel the job. Here is my initial plan. 1/4" diamond plate, lots of gussets, big hinge, chains helping support. size of bracket 24" long by 29" wide, a lot of air under that, not to mention the hinge and what its bolted to. I think it is something that could eventually break something some where. Let me know your thoughts on this one.
    Attached Files

maybe incorporate 2 spring loaded shocks

Comment

This guy is mad because 1/4" AL isn't cheap enough!

Comment

Is there something in his receiver hitch?
        Dynasty 280DX
        Bobcat 250
        MM252
        Spool gun
        Twentieth Century 295
        Twentieth Century 295 AC
        Marquette spot welder
        Smith torches

Comment

Originally posted by 11b View Post
          This guy is mad because 1/4" AL isn't cheap enough!
          So why are you upset???? Sounds like you already turned the job down, time to forget about it and move on.
          Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

Comment

You are correct just trying to get a feel for a "next time thing" Everybody comes up with these ideas and they think you the welder, as an engineer in structural and electrical and holy **** biological physics. I am not that smart, so that is why I ask.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b View Post
              You are correct just trying to get a feel for a "next time thing" Everybody comes up with these ideas and they think you the welder, as an engineer in structural and electrical and holy **** biological physics. I am not that smart, so that is why I ask.
              My multi millionaire customer was laying on the BS, but it made me feel good anyway. His pitch was " I'm not all that bright, so I surround myself with people smarter than me. I want you to keep me informed so I'm able to budget, but take ownership of this place. You make the decisions."

I know he was blowing warm air under my skirt, but in his words was wisdom.
              If we are going to get into engineering, we should learn engineering. Amateur surgeons aren't much in demand for a good reason.
              Dynasty 280DX
              Bobcat 250
              MM252
              Spool gun
              Twentieth Century 295
              Twentieth Century 295 AC
              Marquette spot welder
              Smith torches

Comment

if you welded and fitted for years then you should know a good bit of what will work and what won't work and also how to make the stuff that won't work work.there is always a way to make it you just have to think of past jobs and get it done.

Comment

Originally posted by Willie B View Post
                  Is there something in his receiver hitch?
                  That would be the best solution. Good idea.
                  Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
                  3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
                  Miller Dynasty200DX
                  ThermalArc 400 GTSW
                  MillerMatic350P
                  MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
                  MKCobraMig260
                  Lincoln SP-170T
                  Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
                  Hypertherm 1250
                  Hypertherm 800
                  PlasmaCam CNC cutter
                  Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
                  SiberHegner CNC Mill
                  2 ea. Bridgeport
                  LeBlond 15" Lathe
                  Haberle 18" Cold Saw
                  Doringer 14" Cold Saw
                  6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Comment

Sure but a well engineered part is "Good enough" a poorly engineered part is overbuilt ,,,,hopefully, or bad case under built. I have not had to many things break but I have seen a lot of things break. Aluminum is also a little different. Were does the part break on an AL welded part? In the actual weld because you took that strength away when you welded it, by about 50%, maybe a little less with different fillers and of course heat treatment and I cant heat treat a camper, that would wreck it.
                    Amateur surgeon, like that one!

Comment

Originally posted by tommy2069 View Post
                      if you welded and fitted for years then you should know a good bit of what will work and what won't work and also how to make the stuff that won't work work.there is always a way to make it you just have to think of past jobs and get it done.
                      Yup, the man didn't know it wouldn't work, but he had his doubts. He could have turned someone's idea into a job, made some money, sent him off. That wouldn't be responsible. I feel we should commend him. The non customer should thank him.
                      Dynasty 280DX
                      Bobcat 250
                      MM252
                      Spool gun
                      Twentieth Century 295
                      Twentieth Century 295 AC
                      Marquette spot welder
                      Smith torches

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

I agree with you but sometimes we don't have a say in the matter till you make it their way and it fails then they say ok do it your way. the oil companies down here throw away so much money makin stuff that don't work when their told it wouldn't work in the first place .what I do is I inform them it won't work with the design they drew up and that if they still want it built no problem .I get them talking in front of a few other guys just to make sure I have witnesses to back me up that I told them it wouldn't work and that I'm not responsible for any t&m to get it working. been called into the office way to many times with the company man complaining about the price.after I tell them I said it wasn't gonna work in the first place but I was told to make it anyway they end up chewin somebody a new hole .they then tell me to build it my way or try to fix it at a reasonably cost.

Comment

you did the right thing, turn down a job that your gut told you to do, dont second guess your decision, i get crap like this all the time in my shop, people who are far from an engineer think that they know steel fabrication and dream up this stuff, if you are in business for your self, and take money for a service rendered, you, by far, are the pro, when this thing fails, you will be in court defending your self, not the customer, if it failed, you should of known better. my opinion, you made the smart choice

Comment

I also think you did the right thing to turn it down, I never let someone talk me into building something that I feel is unsafe.

If there is not a safety issue than I voice my opinion ( Let them know how it should be done in my opinion )
                              I then let them decide from there.

However, Many of us that are owners of welding companies have to also be engineers, we just don't have the paper that says that we are.

I have engineered thousands of things over the last 26 years of being in business, I do just as another member said, ( I reflect back on other jobs that I have done along with what structural engineers have told me to do over the years ) and doing so I now have a pretty good feel for design.

Comment

Working...
                              X